TG 4 Open Beta Feedback Guide

Started by KlausK, July 02, 2016, 07:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KlausK

PLEASEPLEASEPLEASE
Planetside, please tell us how you want the feedback organized.

Comments, findings and remarks are already flying around all over the place.

I think it would be very helpful for everyone to open a new topic with a completely accurate title at least!

For Example: mhaze opend a thread called: "beta4 - preview in new window"
The prefix "beta4" is very good, I think, but the title should be exactly quoting the function in TG:
"View / 3D Preview in New Window" - - - - - - -(no offense, mhaze).

Anything else almost always leads to chaos and doubletriplequadruple posts about the same things, imho.

cheers, Klaus

ps: please do not add anything else into a thread when answering or commenting other than the regarding the function mentioned in the topic.
For example I could have added to mhaze preview topic when answering that there is no "open shader preview in new window" for clouds and atmosphere. This gets lost too easily, I fear.
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

mhaze

Dune

DannyG

Agreed not sure what that wasn't set up. This will make tracking challenging
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

bobbystahr

Agree, a very good idea. will abide by it should I discover(and likely will) something or other.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

Yes, this is certainly a good idea. I'll put together some guidelines by tomorrow and post here.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Well this is a few days later, but having just had my week made worthwhile with this discovery. THE SPOT LIGHT WORKS...I should have checked it out right away as I saw intimations of it in one of the preview movies.Attached is a preview of the scene I'm rendering now, I fixed the light levels....just a wee crop but wow....many thanks Matt....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

Uh, I don't think the spotlight was changed for TG4... Is it in the changelog?

Anyway please do post your feedback, excitement, images, etc. in a *different* thread than this one.

And yes, I'm still planning to post that feedback guide (today hopefully). :D

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on July 10, 2016, 02:46:21 PM
Uh, I don't think the spotlight was changed for TG4... Is it in the changelog?

Anyway please do post your feedback, excitement, images, etc. in a *different* thread than this one.

And yes, I'm still planning to post that feedback guide (today hopefully). :D

- Oshyan

Indeed, and Matt set me straight in the other thread...wishfull thinking on my part.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Cocateho

I've noticed quite a few crashes with the actual render, something I never experienced on TG3. If I'm rendering and go to pause, I get a "pausing render" and then the program freezes up. it's frozen up a couple times just on its on as well, but it's to the point that I can hardly complete a render. I have notices it seems to be when my internet connection is iffy, and when it has gone out O can no longer access the "full" beta and it prompts me to buy or use the limited free version like it usually would. These renders are above the free versions limited specs so I wonder if a slight connection problem will cause the program to spaz out because it's not "supposed" to be rendering at that quality? So I'm not sure if this is limited to the beta or not but perhaps something to look into?

Matt

Quote from: Cocateho on July 11, 2016, 11:08:50 AM
I've noticed quite a few crashes with the actual render, something I never experienced on TG3. If I'm rendering and go to pause, I get a "pausing render" and then the program freezes up. it's frozen up a couple times just on its on as well, but it's to the point that I can hardly complete a render. I have notices it seems to be when my internet connection is iffy, and when it has gone out O can no longer access the "full" beta and it prompts me to buy or use the limited free version like it usually would. These renders are above the free versions limited specs so I wonder if a slight connection problem will cause the program to spaz out because it's not "supposed" to be rendering at that quality? So I'm not sure if this is limited to the beta or not but perhaps something to look into?

The internet check only happens at startup. If it successfully connects and starts in full-feature mode, it doesn't need the internet connection until the next time you start Terragen. It might try to check for updates, but that shouldn't disable any features.

The new clouds can cause a lag between pressing Pause and the renderer pausing, and the GUI can be unresponsive while it's in the middle of trying to pause. The higher the number of voxels, the longer this can take, and complex scenes can also affect this. However, it should eventually become responsive again. It shouldn't result in a crash. I want to reduce this lag for 4.0 or soon after.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

mhaze

Keiyentai

I have 9 days left in my beta and I have yet been able to do a single render in it with out crashing or earlier when trying to make a remake of a old scene I have actually BSODed my system. Never had issues like this and I have been using Terragen since the original release. I love Terragen and just wish I could at the very least make a single render in T4 Beta. Also I know it's not a hardware issue since I use Maya, ZBrush and Unreal Engine 4 almost daily.

Computer specs:
CPU: Intel i7 950 @3.17Ghz
RAM: 24GB DDR3 G.Skill PC3-8500F (533Mhz) in Triple Chanel
HDD: 750GB
GPU: eVga GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5
Mobo: Asus P6T Deluxe V2 (old I know but works and was given to me)

Running the current drivers and updates so I am at a loss honestly never had such issue with Terragen before.
Dev Machine
CPU: i7-950
RAM: 24GB DDR3
GPU: eVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5
HDD: 750GB Internal, 1TB External

Oshyan

Keiyentai, that's definitely not normal behavior. I think we have had perhaps 1 other report of a BSOD, and in general Terragen (or any other application that does not provide its own drivers) should not be able to bring down your entire system. Can you give us any more information on the crashes you are seeing, and/or the BSOD? Is it reporting any particular error codes or messages, naming any system files or drivers?

- Oshyan

Keiyentai

Sadly it was the first BSOD I have had in a while and had a couple Display Driver have reset due to it crashing but it's only Terragen 4 Beta and in one case last night Terragen 3 but I was really tweaking a lot of stuff out of boredom. Make no since though cause it's only Terragen that has done it when I use other 3D heavy programs daily and I also stream rather demanding video games on my Twitch channel and play them in 2K in some that support it maxed out/uploading stream/scaling down to 720p for my channel so ya kind of at a loss cause you would think that would of all things would kill the system.
Dev Machine
CPU: i7-950
RAM: 24GB DDR3
GPU: eVGA GeForce GTX Titan X 12GB GDDR5
HDD: 750GB Internal, 1TB External