TG4 Anyone willing to report on textures/materials improvement

Started by TheBadger, July 09, 2016, 10:15:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBadger

Hey,

Can anyone tell me about any improvement in how TG works with textures, imports shows them while working, ect.?
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on July 09, 2016, 10:15:09 PM
Hey,

Can anyone tell me about any improvement in how TG works with textures, imports shows them while working, ect.?

I see them in the RTP, both image map and procedural like colour etc.
My find, and I should have looked right away as I saw a hint in one of the preview videos, is the much improved Spotlight. It no longer needs an atmosphere to work in but works well in one. and in the attached crop test of the image I'm working on I only adjusted the Outer and Inner angles for shape, falloff and brightness. Everything is clicked on the Effects page and left at that. I've leveled the lights in the next iteration.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

I can only agree, RTP works wonders in that respect.

Bobby; it almost looks like a photo. Well done spotlights, man!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on July 10, 2016, 02:02:55 AM
I can only agree, RTP works wonders in that respect.

Bobby; it almost looks like a photo. Well done spotlights, man!

Thanks Ulco, full 1366x768 almost done..and thank Matt for them spotlights, I barely did more than load and position them.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Matt

Quote from: bobbystahr on July 10, 2016, 02:12:15 AM
Thanks Ulco, full 1366x768 almost done..and thank Matt for them spotlights, I barely did more than load and position them.

The spotlights haven't changed, at least not in the current Beta. I think you can thank Andy Wachelder for the low level of fog/mist/dust that is catching the spotlights. But I would like to improve the sampling of spotlights and other light sources in atmosphere in 4.x.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Ah, that's good to hear, Matt. They often cause grain very easily, but I guess/know that's the incentive.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Matt on July 10, 2016, 05:09:49 AM
Quote from: bobbystahr on July 10, 2016, 02:12:15 AM

The spotlights haven't changed, at least not in the current Beta. I think you can thank Andy Wachelder for the low level of fog/mist/dust that is catching the spotlights. But I would like to improve the sampling of spotlights and other light sources in atmosphere in 4.x.

Matt

Yeah, so I found out. That was my first test....the others not quite so spectacular. Tried an indoor scene with limited success....hence no image post.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

TheBadger

hey,

Sorry, but "RTP"? Just not making the connection right now...

My graphics card took a shit. 2nd one, can barely run web browser and only low quality video, much less software right now. hope to have a new system in the next couple of months. Probably more than my GPU is having issues. Anyway, watching what happens here and trying to keep up.

Cheers.
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on July 11, 2016, 01:32:50 AM
hey,

Sorry, but "RTP"? Just not making the connection right now...

My graphics card took a shit. 2nd one, can barely run web browser and only low quality video, much less software right now. hope to have a new system in the next couple of months. Probably more than my GPU is having issues. Anyway, watching what happens here and trying to keep up.

Cheers.

Sorry to hear that man as it's an exciting, at least for me, upgrade.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

TheBadger

Thanks

So what is "RTP", then?

And I was also asking about materials viewer too I guess, or equivalent idea. Oshyan had said that such an idea was on the books, but I was guessing TG4.1 is all about the fundamentals, and more will becoming in .2, .3 and so on.
It has been eaten.

Dune

Ah, yes, you run on this strange system, so you haven't got TG4 yet. Have you seen the video Oshyan posted? RayTracedPreview, excellent improvement.

TheBadger

QuoteRayTracedPreview

Ahhh, lol, ok, now I understand the posts above better. Thanks. Yeah, I saw the video, but the short hand writing threw me off ;)
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Quote from: TheBadger on July 11, 2016, 02:41:20 PM
QuoteRayTracedPreview

Ahhh, lol, ok, now I understand the posts above better. Thanks. Yeah, I saw the video, but the short hand writing threw me off ;)

Sorry, that's what's on the button and we're creatures of habit here....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New