Terragen 4 Beta: Micro handler node exported object file size behavior question

Started by Kadri, July 10, 2016, 08:24:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kadri

I tried to export an object with different render size settings.
When i used smaller image render sizes the object exported from TG4 got bigger (mostly) in file size.

Shouldn't be this the other way around? Do i remember this wrong?

You can see the exported file sizes in the attachment below.
Only the render image size is different in each test.

Matt

Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Kadri

Matt, it is a 52 MB OBJ file of one of my "The Bridge" scene objects.
I was confused when the original big files were problematic to export (long story...it is a test for a different method).
So i deleted all the other parts to see the problem easier and faster.

The first time i was not sure what is happening.
This time with this small object i was more careful and got the same strange behavior.

Matt

Ah, so you're using Force Displacement (or non-RTO) on these objects so that you can send them through the micro exporter? I wouldn't recommend that unless you have no other way to match their positions in Lightwave.

The random file sizes might be explained by duplication of polygons near bucket boundaries, but the numbers still don't seem quite what I would expect.

But if you are populating them, then all kinds of weird things can happen to very small polygons when using the rasteriser/non-RTO.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Kadri

Quote from: Matt on July 10, 2016, 09:46:55 PM
Ah, so you're using Force Displacement (or non-RTO) on these objects so that you can send them through the micro exporter? ...

Yes.

...I wouldn't recommend that unless you have no other way to match their positions in Lightwave....

Will have to try a different way as it looks :)

The random file sizes might be explained by duplication of polygons near bucket boundaries,
but the numbers still don't seem quite what I would expect.
But if you are populating them, then all kinds of weird things can happen to very small polygons when using the rasteriser/non-RTO.

Matt

I see thanks. It looked like as i could export Terragen objects with the microrender earlier more consistently.
Not that i tried it much to say for sure. But getting an object to export in the desired size looked much easier in TG 3.
Is there really a difference in that regard Matt?

Kadri

Just tried the same with an internal Terragen object and it had no anomaly.
The exported object file size got smaller relative to the render size.
Object dependent (basic, detailed) too maybe (sounds a little so-to me- from what you wrote above Matt)?