For Terragen and Maya users

Started by digitalguru, July 14, 2016, 07:03:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digitalguru

I've just uploaded an update of my Maya script - Terraman.

It's pretty much a major re-write, much faster to import / export cameras and has much improved object animation export to Terragen.

If you're a Maya / Terragen user, please feel free to download and have a play with it!

Let me know what you think, or let me know if you find any bugs  :)

You can download it from Creative Crash:
https://www.creativecrash.com/maya/script/terraman

There is also a video tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlxcmCoX82I

and supporting scene files:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/81475291/terraman_tutorial_files.zip

Thanks!

DG

Matt

:o  :)

Incredibly impressed with all this. Thanks for sharing!

What are the default output paths, and will they work for everybody without editing them?

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

ajcgi

You're not going to believe this, but one of my tasks today at work is to figure out this workflow!
This could be a great help. Thanks so much for releasing it. I'll let you know how I get on.

digitalguru

Thanks Matt!

If you mean the Terragen file, you'll have to edit the paths for the Micro exporters to your local path - I left them blank in the original tutorial to let users fill in their own, but that might be a bit confusing so I've left my local paths in and re-uploaded the tgd fille and also attached to this post.

ajcgi -

hope this helps! noticed from another post you're working at 1:10 scale, just remember to to set the "World Scale" to 1:10 before you start importing anything from Terragen to Maya and you should be good to go.

KyL

Excellent tool!

I'm impressed by the fact you managed to export complex animation. Well done and thanks!

How do you enable the speed display in Maya btw?

digitalguru

Thanks Kyl,

To get the speed display you should select the camera node (it only works with the Dolly and Glide camera rig types).

If you can't see it check under Display/Heads Up Display form the MAya menu to see if there is an item called Camera Speed

if that's not there then make sure the code has been added to your userSetup.mel:

source "tgdUtils"; tgdUtils();

which loads the heads up display when Maya starts up

ajcgi

Ok so I successfully got geometry and camera aligned in Maya!
And then Nuke! :D
Dude, you rock. That's saved a world of hurt hopefully. 1:10 worked fine.  :D

digitalguru

I hadn't tried NUke, so kudos to you  :)

What did you do  - import the .chan file?

ajcgi

Gah! There's an alignment issue I just noticed. Maya to Nuke via chan is the way and that lines up nicely between the two but... my chan into Maya is sliiiightly off value once imported and it's knocking my horizon down. See attached jpeg. Any clues?

digitalguru

Quotemy chan into Maya is sliiiightly off value once imported and it's knocking my horizon down

where's the .chan coming from?

p.s if you show me your steps, I could get a better idea of what's going on, or a test file?

ajcgi

Ok so the .chan comes out of Terragen via the Camera export as in your video.
This is how the chan looks:

1001 -108667 -292496 3.40204e+006 4.51821 -79.3968 -94 37.8493
Orientations I actually get:
                                                              83.890  3.932  -90.737

As far as I see, the numbers match my Terragen scene perfectly so it's all as I expect and as per your video, but then bringing it into Maya with terraMan results in the orientation being wrong, but the position and FOV come in perfectly. The steps are following your video. :D ;)

I've kept rotate order as xyz.

digitalguru

are you using the Terraman rig cameras to import the .chan data into Maya?

ajcgi

Yup, here's a Maya scene, minus the landscape which is huuuuge.

digitalguru

can you send the chan file too?

ajcgi