Strata

Started by Dune, August 01, 2016, 03:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Quote from: Danny on August 09, 2016, 12:33:43 PM
I think the advent of the easy cloud might just be the beginning of that sort of user friendly approach to nodes and maybe built into the UI someday, there are only so many Ulco's in the world, Perhaps we should clone him .. yeeesss Clone Him !!  ;)
;D

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Already done: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,21943.msg220704.html#msg220704   8)

Easy surf is not as easy, I'm afraid. You can't easily bend it further down. And it's all in one direction. You can't just have waves in all wind directions without a way to 'procedurally vector displace or tilt by function', not merely by X or Z. And that's blue node stuff in extrema. This is perhaps good enough for local stills/animations, but not for a wider irregular area.

Mohawk20

But there is the vortex displacement. Can that be tilted from y to x or z axis? That would create great rolling waves!
Howgh!

Dune

No, just tested it again (I did so before, I vaguely remember), that doesn't work, especially not since it is very local.

bobbystahr

Well Ulco, that's kinda disappointing but I sorta had a feeling looking at your Blue Nodes that it would be very hard, if not impossible to make this as we wish it could be....sigh...the ever dreaming Bobby Stahr....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Jo Kariboo

Quote from: Dune on August 10, 2016, 03:02:03 AM
Already done: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,21943.msg220704.html#msg220704   8)

Easy surf is not as easy, I'm afraid. You can't easily bend it further down. And it's all in one direction. You can't just have waves in all wind directions without a way to 'procedurally vector displace or tilt by function', not merely by X or Z. And that's blue node stuff in extrema. This is perhaps good enough for local stills/animations, but not for a wider irregular area.

Thank you Ulco for showing us your secret "Dune" team  ;)   but I wanted to sent at Planetside staff.

There are many years of easy settings to use on ArtMatic voyager for the water. It's not nearly as complex and realistic than those made with Terragen by Ulco but it would all even a good start to have access to this type of effect.
They Can still be very useful to have at some distance.
Maybe for a future version of Terragen.
Just for a exemple three pictures that I realized in 2008 with ArtMatic Voyager.

bobbystahr

Jo Kariboo Well the middle ocean waves were totally impressive and I like the shore effect in the other 2.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Thanks for chiming in, Jo. But for these effects, you won't need anything else than TG. The foam on tops of waves can be done by height mask, or wave mask (if you make your waves from a colored fractal), e.g., and the coastal surf foam is easily done by a displacement shader to scalar (blue) node, with some adjustment for area and softness, perhaps some sinus effect and breakup added, once you have your heights (most preferably with a stretched Y). I've explained the latter a while ago for someone: http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,20694.msg206019.html#msg206019

Dune

Some other renders.

Jokes

I straight-up want to marry those rocks. They're so good.

DocCharly65

The last two make me "WOW!" again!  :)

Flythru

Great work,Especially the last two shots. :)

j meyer

Nice to see the olive gang again. ;D

Dune

:)

Oh yeah, forgot this one. This is how the surf works in TG, by using the (stretched) heights through a displacement to scaler, and a color adjust or smooth step until you have the coastal area in sight.