Vector displacement export

Started by Artice-3d, August 10, 2016, 08:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artice-3d

Hello guys !!  i have one more problem :(  i try to export a terragen's terrain into 3d application and use it as vector displacement, but i have a strange results, why??

Dune

That is most likely because you didn't export as vector, but as greyscale heightfield, which omits the lateral displacements. You'd need a setup where the XYZ displacements are converted to RGB colors, and they should be (maybe even rendered on black, and) exported and combined into a 32-bit floating tiff, or something. So, there's some work involved getting that to work.

Artice-3d

Nope Dune, i exported in RGB in 32bits .exr   :-\   I used displacement to vector node and get  it, but when i use it again, it looks like greyscale terrain   :(   i give a file to you, maybe it helps :(  Thanks to you, you're my guru teacher  ;D :D ;)

Dune

I'll have a look at it tomorrow.

Artice-3d

Hetzen

I recognize some of those nodes. Thanks for using them. :)

What you need to do to get your vector map out, is plug your Displacement to Vector node into the colour input on a Surface Layer. AND plug the same output into the Luminosity input on the Surface Layer. This is because to get 'proper'  vector values, you don't want GI and Lighting to effect those values. So disable all lighting when you render and use the surface layer to illuminate your pattern.

Also set up an othorgraphic camera just off the ground looking -90 on x rotation towards your vector values. Try and use a round ratio of Ortho width to render width. This will make lining up when you bring your render back in as a vector displacement to test alignment a lot easier to position and scale. If you save EXR, make sure you check Data is Linear check box of the Image Map Shader you'll use to bring your render back in.

I'd also consider placing this object on a plane rather than a planet to make your map, just so curvature of the base doesn't become an issue.

Best of luck.

Artice-3d

Thanks to you Hetzen, your work is awesome ;)))  i appreciate your help to me and community  :D ;)   And yes a found my mistake and now it's work thanks to god..  One more question..  Do you know how to rotate strata and outcrops shader absolutely vertical 90 degree ?  may be some function can do it, i'm not strong in such stuff, but maybe you are ??  :D ;D  Thans a lot guys for your help, i'm so glad we have here guys like you  :P :D ;)

TheBadger

QuoteDo you know how to rotate strata and outcrops shader absolutely vertical 90 degree

I still maintain that if we could, then square noise would be possible already. Or rather that we would have a pretty good fake pretty easy. I still cry a little when I look at some of the node trees that attempt to make square noise.  ;D :-\
It has been eaten.

AP

That would be a welcoming feature to have the Strata and outcrops shader at a full 90 degrees.

Artice-3d

The most interesting thing is that i saw how strata looks on cube object  and it's follow by normal of surface in different dirrections, so maybe somehow we can convert strata to get the direction and then control it  in a certain way :)  Also maybe we don't need real rotate, maybe a horizontal way but flipped to vertical somehow.. I don't know how strata works as math function, so i don't understand how to realize that.. :(((

Hetzen has rectangular pattern, but without vertical strata it doesn't look as good as it should be, but you guys are awesome , because you' re trying to create things with tools that we have already and i respect you for that much more   ;) :D 8) 8) 8)   

Vue has 3d strata function that is preatty good, but i don't like vue displacement, it's ugly, terragen much more versatile in that  ;)

Dune

So, you already got it, thanks to Jon. Great.

Artice-3d

bobbystahr

the Blue Node People amaze me. What planet are y'all from....hee hee hee
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist