Quixel Megascans in Terragen

Started by zaxxon, September 06, 2016, 03:07:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zaxxon

I just subscribed to the Quixel Megascan site and tried a few of the assets in TG as a test. Honestly I was a bit surprised at how well they translated into TG, and they render pretty quickly for "Hero" objects.  The test05 image was sort of tossed together with the first few assets I acquired, but I think it shows off the TG renderer fairly well. The image test05 rendered in a little over an hour at 1.5 detail and 8 AA, not bad. The Oak trees and the grass are my assets from Speedtree.

Dune

They're wonderful assets, aren't they? There's a map that can be used to darken crevices, did you use that as well?

zaxxon

Hey Ulco! No I'm not; there are 'cavity' maps certainly, but these images only used 3 maps:'Albedo (diffuse), 'Displacement', and 'Specular'. There are numerous other map generated as you probably know. I've only had a few hours to play so far, and tomorrow's not that far off!

Kadri

They look good.
Curious why "1.5 detail and 8 AA" for a still image ? Was there a problem with lower settings?

yossam

Ulco,

Where do you place the cavity map in the shader?

Cornfused

Richard

zaxxon

I'm with you Yossam (cornfused?), where would you plug in the cavity shader, or the AO shader as well? These all use the 'default shader' and only three maps. I did try adding the additional maps without any appreciable change (at least for the better).

Kadri: I used the higher detail of 1.5 because my initial test at .8 rendered so quickly I thought, why not push it?  The programs from Quixel that support the Megascans have some preset export settings to the usual suspects: V-Ray, Octane, Redshift, IRay, Unreal, etc. I attached an image showing the I-Ray preset network. Be nice if these additional maps could be utilized in TG at some point. The detail levels out of V-Ray are are really fine, but 1.5 in TG is probably over-kill.

Thanks Pierre, but I really don't care for that composition much. Even as a test I hate to not put up a quality image  :(, I just got a little excited with the cool assets! The cost of these things isn't bad. I subscribed at the $29 US a month (cancellable at any time), that get's you the two support programs; Studio and Bridge, and fifty points worth of assets a month (assets range from 1-8 points). You can 'refill' your point basis for a discounted cost at any time, plus they do sell asset packs for between $79 and $99. To me, the quality is definitely worth it.

The 'Studio' app is really a fun package: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNLOBO1hrpo

After just a few minutes of playing I was hooked. Now the trick will be to bring these into TG. I've started to experiment a bit, but there are free 'Surface' samples at the Quixel site, and if any of you folks have a solution it would be much appreciated!  :) I did attach a screenshot of a QStudio surface that took about 5 minutes to cook up.

TheBadger

Zaxxon,

Would very much like to see how a tiled surface looks in tg on a big scale. Thanks for that youtube link. Very interesting.

I suppose if they get popular, that library will grow by orders of magnitude. 8)
It has been eaten.

bobbystahr

Nice but at 19 bucks a month there's an upgrade to TG when the time comes....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

zaxxon

Hey TheBadger! How's it going? The Studio app lets you display the tile of the surface out to a virtual infinity, but the ground tesselation is only 2k at the moment, so some limitations. Still, this is a cool one. A sort of layer compositing app with displacement and texture.

Bobbystahr, I hear you friend, but who knows what lies around the corner?

Dune

:D

You can add an image map shader (UV) to the mask input of a no-color surface shader and have a color adjust with ~0.8 gamma as a child. That's what I used the cavity image for. Darkens the cavities, obviously.