Grainy Clouds again....

Started by PeterParker, September 08, 2016, 08:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

The new "v3" cloud shading model is much more realistic in most cases. But we left the older "v2" model in both because it renders faster and in case some people prefer it for some situations (and for backward compatibility). We will continue to improve the v3 model and its controllability. But if you prefer results from v2, just use v2. v3 should be able to get better results than v2 in almost every case, but of course the render time will be higher (and you will have to use different settings and techniques because they work differently). Better results don't magically come at the same render time in most cases. ;)

But remember, v3 clouds are the default in TG4, Defer Atmo is *enabled by default* in TG4 (and there's a reason for this), and finally, there are 2 separate major sources of noise for skies: atmosphere, and clouds. You want to try to figure out where your noise is coming from and then *only* increase samples/quality there. Do not uniformly increase atmo samples and cloud quality unless you're sure both are a source of noise. In the case of the first images in this thread I would guess the main source of noise is *clouds* and would suggest Defer Atmo, AA 4 or 6, and cloud quality 1 to start, with atmo samples at 16.

- Oshyan

PeterParker

Quote from: Oshyan on September 08, 2016, 04:53:42 PM
The new "v3" cloud shading model is much more realistic in most cases. But we left the older "v2" model in both because it renders faster and in case some people prefer it for some situations (and for backward compatibility). We will continue to improve the v3 model and its controllability. But if you prefer results from v2, just use v2. v3 should be able to get better results than v2 in almost every case, but of course the render time will be higher (and you will have to use different settings and techniques because they work differently). Better results don't magically come at the same render time in most cases. ;)

But remember, v3 clouds are the default in TG4, Defer Atmo is *enabled by default* in TG4 (and there's a reason for this), and finally, there are 2 separate major sources of noise for skies: atmosphere, and clouds. You want to try to figure out where your noise is coming from and then *only* increase samples/quality there. Do not uniformly increase atmo samples and cloud quality unless you're sure both are a source of noise. In the case of the first images in this thread I would guess the main source of noise is *clouds* and would suggest Defer Atmo, AA 4 or 6, and cloud quality 1 to start, with atmo samples at 16.

- Oshyan

Hello Oshyan,

thanks for your advice :-) I Appreciate it!
I´ve made the picture at the beginning of this thread with AA 7, CloudQuality: 3, Atmo: 16 Samples and defer on and off
both were the same. I believe the V3 Clouds are made for quick results but when you try to make fat, dark grey stormy clouds this Cloudsystem will fail
cause you dont get the results like in V2. Thats just my opinion. Please dont get mad at me ;-)
Terragen 4 all in all is an amazing Landscape-Creator :-)
Best regards and i wish you a nice weekend.

Peter

PeterParker

Quote from: Kadri on September 08, 2016, 01:37:31 PM

Have a look here. I haven't used those but i think they are worth a look.
http://trzyde.blogspot.com.tr/p/freebies_5.html

Thank you Kadri! I will have a look at it :-)

Oshyan

The intention of v3 clouds is to provide more realistic results in all situations. They may require some improvement on our end (development) to achieve that goal and we'd appreciate specific suggestions and *reference images* to show what should be adjusted. But in general the results already seem to be much more realistic on a consistent basis. They do require different ways of working and different settings than you may be used to with v2 clouds (which required a lot of "hacks" and unintuitive settings, like negative light scattering in some cases), but keep experimenting and hopefully you will find what works for the kinds of things you're trying to create.

- Oshyan

PeterParker