Grainy Clouds again....

Started by PeterParker, September 08, 2016, 08:32:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PeterParker

Hello,

i´ve tried to make a cloudy sky cause I wanted to see the quality.
Get some low level generic clouds with 50000 Km (Localized):
Optimisation: Highest Detail, Quality: 3
Atmosphere settings are : Quality: 60 Samples

[attachimg=1]

All other setting see picture:

[attachimg=2]

The Clouds are still grainy and take 18 Minutes to render!  :(
Can anybody tell me the correct setup to have ungrainy clouds?

In terragen 2-3 the problem was fixed by tweaking the settings in atmosphere and clouds.

I have a six Core(3,8GHZ) Computer with 32 GB of Ram and Nvidia GTX 1080

Thanks for your help.

yossam

Turn your AA up and make sure defer Atmo is turned on............that's a good place to start.  :)

archonforest

Quality 3 causes the 18 minutes. Put it down to 1-1.5. (Unless it gives more grains.)
Double(or more) the atmo settings.  That should smooth the grain. Perhaps gave a little more light as the scene is very dark and the cloud looks super thick. You can also loose up the coverage so some little light can come in. That can help also.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

PeterParker

Quote from: yossam on September 08, 2016, 08:43:22 AM
Turn your AA up and make sure defer Atmo is turned on............that's a good place to start.  :)

I can remember someone has telling me not to tick defer atmo on when you tweak atmosphere and clouds.

Kadri

"low level generic clouds with 50000 Km" Those are the new V3 clouds so old habits do not apply unfortunately.
Have a look here for the V3 new clouds:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,21873.msg220038.html#msg220038

PeterParker

Quote from: Kadri on September 08, 2016, 08:52:07 AM
"low level generic clouds with 50000 Km" Those are the new V3 clouds so old habits do not apply unfortunately.
Have a look here for the V3 new clouds:
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,21873.msg220038.html#msg220038

Thanks for all of your advices, but where i can find the noise Threshold? It is described by Oshyan at the Thread above:
QuoteThe key is it requires different (not necessarily more) knowledge and understanding of how to tweak render settings, a change of perspective so to speak. If you want to use higher AA for e.g. plants this is OK, just *use more adaptive AA* and *set the noise threshold appropriately*

Kadri

"... but where i can find the noise Threshold?"

I wouldn't look first there (Oshyan?).
Use detail at 1 for clouds and atmo samples at 16 first. In the render node use detail 0.7 and AA 6 first.

Render a small crop of the sky and see what happens. If you still have noise use higher AA and if needed higher detail.

You can as Oshyan said try some higher Atmo samples too but slowly.

You can find the "noise Threshold" options in "Render node" then "Edit sampling" .

And don't forget that there are additional settings in the render node "GI Settings"+"GI in Clouds" tab.

Hope this helps.

Kadri

By the way i had not much time to play with those new clouds but you might get some faster render times by using fewer voxels too.

PeterParker

Thank you Kadri, that helped me out.  :)
But the render Time is now fourty minutes. Quite a bit i think.
Thanks for your time and help i appreciate it  :)

Kadri

You might get some faster render times with a little more tweaking maybe.
But with grainy clouds-atmos it is hard sometimes.
For a still image it doesn't look so long to me.
Depends on the resolution etc. too of course.

PeterParker

Quote from: Kadri on September 08, 2016, 10:29:45 AM

You might get maybe some faster render times with a little more tweaking maybe.
But with grainy clouds-atmos it is hard sometimes.
For a still image it doesn't look so long to me.
Depends on the resolution etc. too of course.

I see. But in Terragen 3 i´ve made some scenes with a lot going on there. Dark and heavy Clouds with rain and a lot of grass as an object, Trees and so on.
Took me 20 Minutes to render without any grain. But Version 4 with no objects in it just the clouds, oh boy....
Not that good. Where are the improvements in rendering?

Kadri

From what i see in the threads i think to get nearly the same results you need to use the old V2 clouds
or heavy tweaking and using the new clouds rightly.

I for one am very happy because the rendering speed of objects is amazingly faster in TG 4 .
So it depends on your scene too. I think we need a little more time to adjust to the new things, settings.
We will hear more from Oshyan and Matt in those aspects for sure.

For me it is not only the render time.
I think the way the RTP works (even in its limited V1 version) for example is great from a performance aspect at working with clouds.

PeterParker

Can you tell me where i can get the V 2 Clouds?
Is this the Generic one?

Kadri

I think "Atmosphere"+"Add cloud layer" first 4 options are the old V2 clouds.

If you right click and choose "Create Atmosphere" it is more apparent.

PeterParker

Quote from: Kadri on September 08, 2016, 11:47:27 AM

I think "Atmosphere"+"Add cloud layer" first 4 options are the old V2 clouds.

If you right click and choose "Create Atmosphere" it is more apparent.

Thank you so far, i will try it out. Great to have you here on the Forum.