A Desert Butte

Started by Urantia Jerry, September 25, 2016, 09:54:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Urantia Jerry

One of my older projects revisited. C n C welcome :)

AP

Very nice and great erosion. The sky seems a bit overexposed and if you can flatten the tops of the Butte's a bit. Maybe a couple of more bushes and color variation. There is much more potential so keep at it.

masonspappy

It may be that I'm simply not familiar with that type of terrain,  the boulders seem large compared to trees in the foreground.

AP

They appear to be bushes but could use confirmation on that. It would make sense given this type of environment.

yossam

Very possible they could be Ulcos' heather or Wallis' Prairie Rose if they are bushes.  :)

Dune

I like this. The erosion is great, so are the rocks on the talus slopes, and the trees/shrub seem about 5-10m high to me. A few things though; it seems like the whole terrain is leaning backward, so I would use a smaller FOV. I think you raised the angle to 80ยบ or so? And perhaps the colors of the stone are a bit on the warm side, but I don't know about that kind of terrain. And a few more species of shrub/flowers, or the occasional dead tree may well find a place in this landscape.

Urantia Jerry

Dune you are right about the POV, only it was a LITTLE bit more than 80 - 120.  This made the clouds look weird too, so I rendered some clouds and then projected them into the background which is why the sky looks washed out.  The plants are indeed Dune's Heather models, and they were supposed to be stones instead of boulders.  The colors of the terrain are very close to some of the places I've been to here in Nevada and Arizona.  This first picture is very low quality, but it is real, and represents something of what I was trying to achieve.  The second pic shows just how rough some of the terrain around here is.  Thank you for your reply's - I will revisit this one soon.

luvsmuzik

Your original render has all the wonderful elements of your actual photo. I think the camera angle is throwing it off too. Your distant hills have to be behind and visible from the close vegetation and rock (which are terrific!) If you are using full version, does it have more camera settings for focal point and rule of thirds?

Urantia Jerry

Yes it does, I just need to become more proficient at picking the right settings.  Practice - learn some more - and practice some more ....

bobbystahr

I like this a lot and having never been there I'll take your word for the palette and veg....Keep on Tweakin'
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

That second photo would be interesting to replicate. Pretty doable, I suppose. Warped simple shape for the highs, a compute normal, some billowed displacements, colors and some pops. Fake stones on foreground. Good luck.