Desert Cabin - Great Price (Caveat Emptor)

Started by fleetwood, September 27, 2016, 10:29:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fleetwood

Early Halloween shot -

Finally Anya realized she should have been immediately suspicious when the price of the property was listed so low.

Checking out a v3 cloud limited by camera projected mask made from massaging a photo of Ivy Mike, first fusion nuke tested in 1952.

cabin - tdg soft srilanka
anya - artec scanners
vegs - xfrog, klas, Marc Gebhart

archonforest

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Kadri

Looks good.
I would try to change the texture of the house and maybe a little more detailed and-or smooth(feathered) mask around the edges of the cloud.
Especially the right side of the cloud.

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Dune

Great. So projecting an image on a v3 cloud works also. I like the soils very much, but I agree about the house; it needs better resolution. And perhaps try to let Anya's head not touch any beams, so it's freely silhouetted.

fleetwood

Quote from: Dune on September 28, 2016, 03:55:41 AM
Great. So projecting an image on a v3 cloud works also. I like the soils very much, but I agree about the house; it needs better resolution. And perhaps try to let Anya's head not touch any beams, so it's freely silhouetted.
Yes still possible to use the image shader as final density and pass through the photo colors if you want them. In the case of my render the image shader is only a mask of the regular cloud density power fractal so the yellow cloud colors are from the "cloud color" setting and the light source in the cloud.

Agree the building texture is blurry, it was intended to look like stone I think. Have to see I can fix it and get the cloud to look a little better. The original Ivy Mike photo is rather flawed. There must be high res ones but maybe those were classified.

examples - note colored shadows

fleetwood

Thanks Kadri, that last one looks like it has a lot of potential. Photos with front or back lighting seem better suited for this.
I started with this one which was small and already looks like someone enhanced it to me.

Kadri

Yes. I can see why the one side was harder to trace around.
Just take a little artistic license and trace the edges at your will if you ask me.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on September 28, 2016, 03:55:41 AM

Agree w Ulco and thanks for the reminder to play with image maps...had totally spaced them with all the new stuff in TG4
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DocCharly65

A scaring and great render at the same time!

Agree with Ulco too. Only a suggestion how I could improve some objects in the past:
a.) Just make a double (or higher) sized color image
b.) Usa a painting programm and add an additional layer to the original. Then follow the joints between the bricks and draw just lines. Zhen you already have a nice bump map for displacement.

Perhaps that helps.

fleetwood

Quote from: DocCharly65 on September 29, 2016, 02:36:07 AM
A scaring and great render at the same time!

Agree with Ulco too. Only a suggestion how I could improve some objects in the past:
a.) Just make a double (or higher) sized color image
b.) Usa a painting programm and add an additional layer to the original. Then follow the joints between the bricks and draw just lines. Zhen you already have a nice bump map for displacement.

Perhaps that helps.

Thanks Doc, I'm trying a few different things like you suggest. The UV map is one of those where all the house textures are combined on one fairly small image so it requires editing or replacing only a small section of that. I have some good high res brick textures but will need some adjusting. Actually I was leaning toward giving the wall a split log or adobe look. 

Hannes

That looks really great! Amazing possibilities with your workaround.

fleetwood

A new stone texture for the house and moved Anya down a bit. Fiddled with cloud. Not quite right but it's enough time spent on a piece of black humor.
Came to the conclusion that for this type of fake cloud, getting the mask detail and contrast right at the beginning is the key, rather than trying to "fix" it up later with image shader gamma or coloradjust gamma  or cloud gamma adjustments and such. 

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist