Render setting recommendations

Started by Oshyan, May 15, 2009, 01:05:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oshyan

I'll look into it Philip. My first guess is it's Detail, Detail Blending, or Displacement Filter related.

- Oshyan

Roseb44170

I also have to thank you for this information.  There has been a T2 contest that I would love to participate in on a more regular basis but the program just operates so slowly on my computer that I almost thought about giving it up.

I have also added your post to my docs so that I can try it out - can't wait to see how well it works!

dark_Wizzie

How much would max detail actually take, hypothetically speaking, with today's best hardware?  :P

Tangled-Universe

I couldn't even hypothesize on what the max detail and other settings would be, let alone its rendertime ;)

Splus12

Thanks Oshyan,  everything I read here help me understand this program more.
Ken

DannyG

Oshyan,
Is there any updates or hints that you can share since this was last updated ? As you already are aware, we are all looking to shave a minute or two here and there
Many thanks in advance
Danny
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Oshyan

It's true that a lot has (potentially) changed since the original thread was written. The fundamentals haven't changed really, but additions like Raytrace Atmosphere and bucket rendering controls can have an effect, to be sure. I will see if I can revisit this, perhaps in the Wiki, some time soon. But it's a tough subject to tackle because things can vary so much. The real intention of this thread was to establish a baseline of sane values as I saw lots of people just cranking up settings, assuming it would make things a lot better, and having huge render times with little or no benefit. When it comes to the finer points of tweaking the renderer for a specific image or sequence, there can be more to it than might be easily covered even in the wiki. But we'll see what can be done...

- Oshyan

pokoy

Hope I'm not posting questions that might have been answered somewhere else already but this thread seems to be the right one.

I am getting artifacts in volumetric shadows that mostly occur on bucket borders. I suppose it has to do with atmosphere GI that's not getting blended properly between buckets. I tried to increase GI detail and sample quality and have increased GI prepass padding but both didn't help, though I didn't have much time to test them thoroughly. I'm also not sure if it's really related to GI or if it has to do with ray detail, or even with the general image detail settings.

Matt

It's likely to be the "acceleration cache" in each of the Cloud Layers, on their Quality tabs. Try setting those to "None".

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

pokoy

pokoy

Quote from: pokoy on May 22, 2012, 07:03:19 AM
Hope I'm not posting questions that might have been answered somewhere else already but this thread seems to be the right one.

I am getting artifacts in volumetric shadows that mostly occur on bucket borders. I suppose it has to do with atmosphere GI that's not getting blended properly between buckets. I tried to increase GI detail and sample quality and have increased GI prepass padding but both didn't help, though I didn't have much time to test them thoroughly. I'm also not sure if it's really related to GI or if it has to do with ray detail, or even with the general image detail settings.

Quote from: Matt on May 22, 2012, 05:05:28 PM
It's likely to be the "acceleration cache" in each of the Cloud Layers, on their Quality tabs. Try setting those to "None".

Matt

That worked, thanks!

Clay

Yes these are great directions from Oshyan, was a big help when I just started using Terragen3 a few weeks ago. Here's a sample of What I have managed to create as I'm learning all the bells and whistles.

Dune

Hi Clay, welcome to the forum. I suggest opening a new post in image sharing with your render, so people can comment and give advise in the appropriate thread. If you want C&C that is.

Artofgp

Thank you, Oshyan. I will give this advice a try right now.