Cutting the peaks

Started by N-drju, October 03, 2016, 01:32:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Can you help me with this little trouble I have?

How can I flatten out an elevated part of a displaced terrain? Like, on a given altitude? Simple shape shader does a very nice job of smoothly flattening the surface but it seems to work on 0m elevations only. :(
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

Quote from: N-drju on October 03, 2016, 01:32:24 pm
Can you help me with this little trouble I have?

How can I flatten out an elevated part of a displaced terrain? Like, on a given altitude? Simple shape shader does a very nice job of smoothly flattening the surface but it seems to work on 0m elevations only. :(




C&P the coordinates where you want it flat and I use smooth step at 90%, Position in terrain/texture on the colour tab and default on the Displacement tab
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

N-drju

Nope, that doesn't work. It still flattens the terrain all the way down to zero or does not do anything at all and I tried putting SSS in different arrangements.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

October 03, 2016, 02:08:47 pm #3 Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 02:10:25 pm by bobbystahr
Quote from: N-drju on October 03, 2016, 01:54:17 pm
Nope, that doesn't work. It still flattens the terrain all the way down to zero or does not do anything at all and I tried putting SSS in different arrangements.


Is this a .ter or a Power Fractal...works for me on the latter.

try this

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,3830.msg39741.html#msg39741
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

well I can't make it work on either a Load terrain or a Generate terrain so I'm thinkin' some one else will have to jump on this horse....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist


bobbystahr

Quote from: AP on October 03, 2016, 04:49:08 pm
This?

http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,7548.15.html

See post Reply #20.


I remember that but it doesn't address a .ter(Load terrain) or the Generate terrains....just the PF terrain...that's what it clamps...thanks for trying
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

AP

Use a Add Operator, Heightfield clip vertical 01 and adjust Clip peaks. This worked on my end using an imported .ter and it will be the same for Heightfield (generate).

bobbystahr

October 03, 2016, 08:31:23 pm #8 Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 09:13:34 pm by bobbystahr
Quote from: AP on October 03, 2016, 06:12:38 pm
Use a Add Operator, Heightfield clip vertical 01 and adjust Clip peaks. This worked on my end using an imported .ter and it will be the same for Heightfield (generate).


I've used that and it's handy but it's not very area specific which is I think is what N-drju is after...there's no way I know of to mask an operator.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

N-drju

October 04, 2016, 01:49:12 am #9 Last Edit: October 04, 2016, 02:30:46 am by N-drju
Quote
I've used that and it's handy but it's not very area specific which is I think is what N-drju is after...there's no way I know of to mask an operator.


Bobbystahr is right. I need to flat out just a small portion of the power fractal terrain, not the entire planet... Any way to do this?
_______________________________________

I just realized that I can probably just use a strata and outcrops shader to make the terrain completely flat at any altitude and mask it with SSS. I need to check if this is a valid option... I still would like to have my question answered nonetheless. :P
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

A similar question has been asked before, I remember, and I don't understand why an SSS won't work for local flattening. Attach it to the mask input of a surface shader, then check smoothing and the area drops to zero, then raise it again to the desired height by the offset displacement.

bobbystahr

Quote from: N-drju on October 04, 2016, 01:49:12 am
Quote
I still would like to have my question answered nonetheless. :P[/font][/size]



here y go...apply this principle to your scene
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on October 04, 2016, 02:47:40 am
A similar question has been asked before, I remember, and I don't understand why an SSS won't work for local flattening. Attach it to the mask input of a surface shader, then check smoothing and the area drops to zero, then raise it again to the desired height by the offset displacement.


In all honesty I'd never tried this technique before as I tend to not use surface shaders in the Terrain area of the nodes, really gotta unlimit myself more.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

N-drju

Bobby, Ulco, that was exactly what I needed. Thank you for sharing your knowledge! :)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

Quote from: N-drju on October 04, 2016, 03:55:00 pm
Bobby, Ulco, that was exactly what I needed. Thank you for sharing your knowledge! :)


you're welcome ...that's what forums are for  and how we all learn...happy that worked for you.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist