Three Sisters

Started by Gannaingh, October 10, 2016, 08:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gannaingh

I've decided to improve upon an old scene that I've never posted. Here we have the Three Sisters in Oregon looking north towards Mt. Hood. World Machine was used to create the erosion effects on the terrain as well as the snow and flow maps. I want to increase the resolution on the mountain elevation maps and give a bit more TLC to the vegetation. Thanks for taking a look.

Oshyan

Very nice indeed. I think there is ever so slightly too much thin snow up in those narrow cuts high on the mountain. With that much exposure, and the appearance of the rest that it hasn't snowed that recently, I would think it would retreat a bit more, and also bit a bit more clumpy up there. But that's really a minor nitpick. :D

The terrain resolution looks pretty good already. What resolution of DEM are you using here? There is full 1/9 (3m) coverage for the area now, plus a bit of 1m coverage on one side at the foot in the "Pole Creek" area. That's pretty damn good!

- Oshyan

zaxxon

Dune

Nice one, WM and its maps really do wonders.

DocCharly65

Hannes

Beautiful! Very realistic.

inkydigit

despite the narrow flows as Oshyan noted- this is truly beautiful, feels alpine fresh too!
:)
Jason

Urantia Jerry

fleetwood

Looks very good. With much snow on the ground maybe snowy forest would look appropriate too.

otakar

So you used the WM flow and snow maps as tree coverage masks I assume? Very nice image.

Oshyan

Quote from: fleetwood on October 11, 2016, 11:09:07 AM
Looks very good. With much snow on the ground maybe snowy forest would look appropriate too.

My thought was that you often get snow sticking around quite a while after the last actual snowfall, which accounts for all the snow on the ground, but leaves time for the snow to melt off the trees. In other words it's not meant (I think) as a "fresh snow" scene, but perhaps more late season, or at least on a day when the fresh snowfall has melted and fallen off the trees. You do often see that sort of thing. But that's also where my comment about the narrower flows higher up on the mountain comes from. Assuming it's the kind of period I'm talking about, those flows would probably be less prominent and more clumped.

Then again it could all be fixed with a fresh dusting of snow on those trees, I think. ;)

- Oshyan

DannyG

Excellent use of World machine masks, This looks very real and is awesome looking, very nice Jeff
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

Gannaingh

Thanks, everybody! I agree about the narrow snowy cuts, I've been trying to eliminate them in WM, but may have to resort to editing the mask in photoshop. I think  should also add more noticable color and texture variation to the snow, right ow it is a bit on the subtle side.

Oshyan: The base terrain resolution was 9m, not great, but fortunately mountains are big so they can still pack lots of detail!

mhaze

Great scene.  THe snow higher up often remains because of the lower temperatures. Adiabatic lapse rate approx 1 degree per hundred meters of height gain.