Is it possible to export the cloud from Terragen?

Started by zzu, October 24, 2016, 12:12:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzu

I'm not too familiar with the complete production workflow for terragen, one thing I envy the most is the cloud from Terragen, is there a way to export the clouds as mesh to another software, or can someone give me a little tips of the entire vfx workflow with this software. I appreciate your time.

Oshyan

You cannot currently export clouds in any way except as render elements like alpha and lighting passes (in the Professional version). We are considering future options for import/export of cloud shapes. However you will not get the same cloud shading results in any other application, so if it's the cloud quality you want, it's best to figure out a workflow that allows clouds to be rendered in Terragen.

Typical VFX workflow can go in a couple of different ways. One approach would be to setup a scene in your primary 3D app with camera and lighting, then export in FBX to Terragen and setup your environment to match.

Another method would be to start in Terragen, creating your lighting and possibly camera in TG to get the base environment set, then export to FBX, including a section of the terrain (using the Micro Exporter node) to use for shadow catching and occlusion, etc. Bring all that into your primary app and model the rest of your scene around the Terragen environment elements. Render a Terragen environment map and use it for IBL in your primary app. Alternatively, render Terragen backplates and composite with other elements rendered in other apps, or front project and render in your app of choice.

- Oshyan

zzu

Thanks for the brief guide, I was thinking about the same. I'm also curious if the clouds receive shadows from another 3D geometry(fluids), specifically the smoke left behind from a rocket. It'd be epic if it's achievable in some way.

Oshyan

The clouds will receive shadows from any imported geometry, yes. So if you can export your fluid sim as geometry in OBJ format, you could load it in Terragen and use it for shadow casting.

- Oshyan

zzu

Oh, that's something worth exploring then. Any suggestion to make  HDR images from inside the environment of Terragen? Cause I need some correct reflection on reflective surface.

Oshyan

With Terragen 4 Professional you have access to a Spherical Camera mode which can output HDR environments in a single render very easily. The EXR output from Terragen has very high dynamic range and works well for this purpose.

- Oshyan

zzu