Depth of Field

Started by bobbystahr, November 02, 2016, 02:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

Well I thought I knew how this was set up but all my suppositions were incorrect so I went to the WIKI hoping to at least garner a glimpse and to my astounded surprise DoF isn't even on the page other than a passing reference...does any one know how it works? Maybe a tutorial would be nice. About ready to say it's useless for my current image as I get no results I expect or want.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

archonforest

Dof is simple. Lets say you have your camera at 0 and you have your main object 1 meter from the camera. Now go to render tab and the go to Blur tab. Set the Focus distance to 1. Then the more u crank the Aperture diameter the more the background will be blurred. Meaning the main focus will be at 1 meter and the rest behind will be blurred. Or if you have an object at 0.5 meter then that will be blurred too since it is out of the focus.
(Before you render make sure you clicked on the Dept of Field under the Render tab.)
Hope it helps.  :)

Btw render time will increase.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

bobbystahr

Quote from: archonforest on November 02, 2016, 03:10:22 PM
Dof is simple. Lets say you have your camera at 0 and you have your main object 1 meter from the camera. Now go to render tab and the go to Blur tab. Set the Focus distance to 1. Then the more u crank the Aperture diameter the more the background will be blurred. Meaning the main focus will be at 1 meter and the rest behind will be blurred. Or if you have an object at 0.5 meter then that will be blurred too since it is out of the focus.

Hope it helps.  :)

But how do I only blur the extreme foreground like the leaves peeking into the camera around the edges and have the rest unblurred?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

N-drju

Wow. Never used it before (never needed it) but seems cool... I didn't even know TG can make this effect.

Educate us Attila. We are listening master! :D
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

N-drju

Woo hoo! ;D

[attachimg=1]
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Oshyan

To blur the foreground and not the background, set your focus distance further away and use a small aperture.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on November 02, 2016, 03:42:58 PM
To blur the foreground and not the background, set your focus distance further away and use a small aperture.

- Oshyan

Thanks, was starting to grok that...as an aside, AVAST tries to block the latest update upon installation and then checks it and says sorry..could you have a word with them...bloody irritating that behaviour, I think I saw this when I wasn't using AVAST...thinking of going back to avira.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

yossam

Avast doesn't like a lot of software anymore.............think they are being a little over cautious.  ???

Oshyan

Avast has been responsible for many of the false positives in the last year for Terragen updates. Very frustrating. Thanks for the report.

- Oshyan

Dune

Beware that DOF and GISD don't go well together.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on November 03, 2016, 03:14:21 AM

I'm guessing that's why I can't make it work at this point, was also suspecting the fog cloud I put in for the light beams as a contributor to my problem. Gonna try turning that off first and then I'll mess with the GISD..Thanks for the tip Ulco...

EDIT
O K, fog gone GISD gone and still no DoF. The bridge, which I want focused, is 924 M. from the camera measured in the top view with the measure stick and the aperture is set at 1...now this should work right?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

I always find it hard to establish the right depth and distance of focus. There's the button on top with the vague red field, but it still takes some cropped tests to check.

archonforest

Quote from: bobbystahr on November 03, 2016, 10:12:45 AM
Quote from: Dune on November 03, 2016, 03:14:21 AM

I'm guessing that's why I can't make it work at this point, was also suspecting the fog cloud I put in for the light beams as a contributor to my problem. Gonna try turning that off first and then I'll mess with the GISD..Thanks for the tip Ulco...

EDIT
O K, fog gone GISD gone and still no DoF. The bridge, which I want focused, is 924 M. from the camera measured in the top view with the measure stick and the aperture is set at 1...now this should work right?

I thing DOF is kinda works with close up shoots. Not sure why u wanna focus on something that almost a 1Km away from the cam?
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

Oshyan

DoF and GISD don't work well together but it's not like GISD makes DoF *not work*. It just renders with artifacts. If it's not working, it's not because of GISD...

- Oshyan

Dune

Yeah, that's right. If you need GISD (and you often do) it's always possible to clear up some artifacts in post.