360º in stereo?

Started by Dune, November 10, 2016, 11:55:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

I've been asked to produce something like that; spherical render, but stereoscopic. Is that possible?

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on November 10, 2016, 11:55:48 AM
I've been asked to produce something like that; spherical render, but stereoscopic. Is that possible?

Doesn't WAS always include a stereoscopic render with his posts...He may have a clue but I don't...interesting thought that I can now entertain, heh heh...in 2 weeks when Corsair replaces the faulty RAM and I up it to 32Gb
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Kadri

Quote from: Dune on November 10, 2016, 11:55:48 AM

I think that is what Planetside is trying to do with the images from the VR contest actually... ahem :)   
Oshyan or Matt might have something to say probably.
But is is probably not much different then like stereoscopic rendering in Terragen (in general at least).

Matt

The basics are pretty simple to setup in Terragen 3.2 Professional and above:

1. Set your camera to spherical mode.
2. On the Stereo tab enable stereo.
3. Set the stereo mode to "Parallel" (unless requested to do otherwise). Adjust the inter-axial separation (inter-ocular distance) if you have a need to exaggerate or minimize the stereo for some reason (e.g. unusual scale in your scene), but the default of 63.5 mm should be OK if your scene is at real world scale. In Parallel mode, the zero-parallax distance is ignored (and is disabled in TG4).
4. Set the "LEFT" radio button, render an image and save it. Then set the "RIGHT" radio button and render a separate image.

What you do with the left and right images afterwards will depend on what format your client wants. Maybe they only need the left and right images and can take it from there, but if you need to arrange them into a single image this can be done in any image editor.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Matt

Bear in mind that for large environments, stereo will only be noticeable for foreground objects. It is a complete waste to use it for aerial views, for example.

I've also found the anti-aliasing quality is very important to allow a person's eyes to align left and right images into a cohesive image. Or rather, aliasing is the enemy when it's different from one eye to the other. So don't skimp on AA, and try to test your creations in a VR headset if you can.

I'm more than happy to beta test your work and help with the process :)

Matt

Matt

To save render time, consider breaking the scene into separate foreground and background layers, because the background can be the same for both eyes.

Dune

Thanks for all your answers, and Matt; I'll keep your offer in mind. There's a guy from a major company who has a lot of contacts and has great plans... and is quite keen on my work, so that might be an interesting combination  ;) But he's very vague, and needs some price range... sigh  :-\

Btw. what 360º resolution would be appropriate for an average tablet? I would say an 8inch tablet has a width of about 500px, so 4x 500px would be sufficient.

Matt

I assumed this was for a VR headset, given that it's 360 degrees and stereo. I'm not sure how you would view a 360 stereo image on a tablet, so I don't know how to answer your question about resolution.

Matt.

Dune

They are interested in both, so how about a VR headset; what resolution would you recommend?  I haven't the foggiest.

On a tablet, it's the idea that you stand somewhere and get a message that you can see what it looked like, say 1000 years ago; you hold the tablet in front of some house or area and see what it would have been like then, turning around you can see all, possibly partially blending in with reality (I told you he was vague). For that I think some 2000px (no stereo of course) would be enough.

geekatplay

Main problem with stereo it is pre rendered parallax. I already recorded tutorials about VR render in Terragen 4, it should be out in end of this month. As backdrop it does not worth to use stereo for ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depth_perception ) Convergence is  10m . If you do not need to rotate camera, just view from one point, then that will work. But as VR you will have some problems with close up objects.

Dune

Thanks for your input, Geekatplay.