Export texture to maya

Started by Allenhei, November 30, 2016, 02:05:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allenhei

hello,everyone. this is my first time to use TG4. i do the landscape, How can i export texture to maya.
i have export the obj file to maya but dont know how to export texture.
or TG4 cannot export texture??

Dune

Welcome to this forum, and to answer your question; the only way I know to export texture is to render it from a topdown camera. But if you apply that texture onto a displaced terain elsewhere I'm pretty sure it'll stretch at more displaced areas.

Allenhei

Quote from: Dune on November 30, 2016, 02:08:42 AM
Welcome to this forum, and to answer your question; the only way I know to export texture is to render it from a topdown camera. But if you apply that texture onto a displaced terain elsewhere I'm pretty sure it'll stretch at more displaced areas.

o...it can only use topdown camera to export texture.
i try import texture to maya is using planning mapping but the render result  :'(
however, displacment map is use topdown camera and using distance shader to export or have other shader?

but still thx dune ;D

Dune

It would be great to be able to 'bake' the TG texture onto some vector displacement map, but I don't think that's possible yet. At least I don't know about it.

Oshyan

Direct texture export is not possible at this time. What is your goal in exporting the texture?

- Oshyan

Allenhei

Quote from: Oshyan on November 30, 2016, 07:50:58 PM
Direct texture export is not possible at this time. What is your goal in exporting the texture?

- Oshyan

hope to render result in maya can look likes in terragen render ,it just try. but watch some tutorial in youtube, also export landscape to maya have no texture. it's only set the camera movement, after that export character and camera movement to terragen to render.

And if i want to try bake displacement map, should see this tutorial?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTKfAeEPDhY&feature=youtu.be

Oshyan

Terragen's unique micropolygon displacement engine and procedural noise functions mean that you will not be able to achieve the same level of quality in rendering by exporting and rendering in another application. If you want the best quality results we recommend rendering your terrain in Terragen. You can export the terrain (but not textures) for use in scene matching, occlusion, shadow catching, etc. if you want to integrate rendered elements from other applications. Terragen's render layers and elements system (Professional version only) can help you integrate Terragen-rendered elements with your other renders.

That tutorial should work for vector displacement, yes.

- Oshyan

Allenhei

Quote from: Oshyan on November 30, 2016, 09:18:51 PM
Terragen's unique micropolygon displacement engine and procedural noise functions mean that you will not be able to achieve the same level of quality in rendering by exporting and rendering in another application. If you want the best quality results we recommend rendering your terrain in Terragen. You can export the terrain (but not textures) for use in scene matching, occlusion, shadow catching, etc. if you want to integrate rendered elements from other applications. Terragen's render layers and elements system (Professional version only) can help you integrate Terragen-rendered elements with your other renders.

That tutorial should work for vector displacement, yes.

- Oshyan

thx Oshyan :D

digitalguru

QuoteIt would be great to be able to 'bake' the TG texture onto some vector displacement map, but I don't think that's possible yet. At least I don't know about it.

You don't need to bake a color texture to a vector map, that would be purely for displacement.

As mentioned, Terragen's procedural textures are very detailed and best left for Terragen to render. In order to get anywhere near the same level of detail in Terragen from an exported map it would have to be huge. Or least have some sort of facility to break the terrain down into more manageable UV tiles (also known as UDIMS) to export say a number of 4K maps to cover the terrain.

I would export a terrain (as an obj) to another 3d app as a guide for animation only. My tutorial channel on You Tube might be a good place to start to get some ideas on this kind of pipeline. ( https://www.youtube.com/user/cristouk )

And even though it's possible to export a vector displacement map of a terrain from Terragen to a 3d app, the main intention for that workflow was to export the map to a sculpting app like Mudbox or Zbrush - sculpt some features by hand and re-import back to Terragen to render.

Just my 2 cents worth... :-)