Columnar Cliffs - Evolved

Started by WAS, October 17, 2018, 03:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WAS

Built a columnar scene from scratch following some of the logic from mhaze's columnar file. I do believe some of those tex coordinates are necessary as I built mine without them entirely originally and the shapes were rather plain. Adding each tex coordinates you could see the displacement change in the preview. I was playing with Fake Stones on the cliff fake for voronoi variation, but ended up scrunching them down a whole lot in the end.

N-drju

Quite a good job man. The debris field composes nicely.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on October 17, 2018, 04:29:41 PM

I'm glad it came out alright, as I sorta gave up on it. Tried painted shader, scalar mask warped, and eventually settled on just alt limits and slope limits.

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on October 17, 2018, 05:01:56 PM
Quote from: N-drju on October 17, 2018, 04:29:41 PM

I'm glad it came out alright, as I sorta gave up on it. Tried painted shader, scalar mask warped, and eventually settled on just alt limits and slope limits.

sometimes the simplest is best
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

DannyG

Very nice textures in this
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

WAS

Thanks, Danny.

I just realized I built this whole thing with "Perlin 3D" as my "Columnar" when mhaze used voronoi cells. Derp. Re-envisioning this project with cells for better (less smooth edges). Lol
Nope. It was perlin. Mine is just too soft probably cause of base terrain/smoothing.

Though I feel the smooth look is better for the type of stained and lime leeching stone I made.

WAS

So I've been spending some time analyzing mhaze's columnar, and have created a new shader set to apply a similar effect. It's not exact to how mhaze set his up but it uses the same principles of perlin columns detailed by voronoi as it's base. I than added some spice, and challenged myself on some strata like effect using the same voronoi and it's settings already in place (so it scales with the whole function setup).

I also redid the rock textures from scratch with the same lime leaching in mind. I think I may change the strata sedimentation colours though so they don't clash with the dust/dirt on surface tops.

PS If you know any free veggie models that might look good on this for a population test let me know! All I really got is grasses and big trees. 

mhaze

WAS

Thanks mhaze. Turns out every time I tried to do this myself I wasn't understanding how the voronoi diff was used to "carve" or "detail" the round columnars from the perlin, hence my round columnars in my original go lol

DocCharly65

bobbystahr

Quote from: WASasquatch on October 20, 2018, 02:51:20 AM

PS If you know any free veggie models that might look good on this for a population test let me know! All I really got is grasses and big trees. 

I do believe MrLamppost has a bunch of bushes on his site

http://www.mrlamppost.com/tg2/downloads/basic_bush_pack.htm
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

luvsmuzik

Quote from: bobbystahr on October 21, 2018, 09:39:21 AM
Quote from: WASasquatch on October 20, 2018, 02:51:20 AM

I do believe MrLamppost has a bunch of bushes on his site

http://www.mrlamppost.com/tg2/downloads/basic_bush_pack.htm

Oh wow, sorry bobbystahr. I thought that link was long gone. Great that it is still up! I put them on my DropBox too and added to file sharing. I should have checked on the other puter first (where I have all the older links for stuff) :)