Icecream?

Started by Dune, December 02, 2016, 02:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Something in the back of my mind was telling me that this story was not quite adding up but I did not want to say anything too soon, however I will have to give credit for your creativity and the tagging along.

j meyer

Glad to see there is a simple solution. ;)

fleetwood

Good one. May there be an extra lump of coal in your stocking this year.

Hannes

N-drju

Still, people fall for the "unexpected delivery" scam so it is probable that something like that can happen. ;) Even without advanced technology. So that's why I reacted like I did.

A scam I know of involves a "delivery man" coming to your house with a package. When you say you did not order anything, he asks you to call his "supervisor" for explanation... If you fall for this, the call you make will cost you some astronomical amounts, like 14.90 Euro per minute and it usually takes more than that to contact the guy's "supervisor". True scam.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

PabloMack

Quote from: Dune on December 04, 2016, 02:57:28 AMI pulled your leg(s).

One of my questions was whether one of the flavors of ice cream was Anthrax. Was it? You are writing a mystery novel aren't you?

Dune

I vaguely remember seeing something like Anthr.... indeed  ;D And; yes and no, I did start writing a book long time ago, but after 300 pages never got to finish it.

That's a sneaky way of shaking one's wallet, N-drju. I'm glad I'm extremely cautious/paranoid  ;)

N-drju

There are more, and there are even better.

One of my favorite schemes involves carrying a package full of broken glass around the city in rush hours. Then, you "accidentally" bump into someone and drop the package (contents of which were already "pre-broken", mind you). You tell them that it was a very precious vase that you bought for a special occasion. Then after some discussion, or after the victim offers you reimbursement, you"reluctantly" accept to take the money.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 04, 2016, 02:57:28 AM
Well, to be honest, I pulled your leg(s). Didn't you think there was something fishy about it? So it's pretty real, huh? This was a little story I woke up with, thinking about how dangerous the web-related technology can get... you know: smart electricity meters that can be influenced from some (far away) server, cars being driven off the road by ingenious hackers standing on bridges looking at their havoc created, televison sets downloading (illegal) stuff without you knowing it, huge amounts of icecream being delivered (and the delivery man knowing exactly where you are, because your phone tells it to the world!!!)..... even entering a shop, the attendant probably already knows (from your internet behavior) what you come looking for, and he will say: "Come this way, sir, I have exactly what you are looking for, if I'm not mistaken..." (grinning)

Oh you are evil today Ulco...I'll take some of what  ever you're smoking for sure!
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 07, 2016, 02:26:11 AM
;D

Actually it's a pretty good parable on a :smart house: and it]s potential downside and underlines why I'm a "landline guy" and will stay so as long as I have a house around me. I even binned my micro wave oven I inherited out of radiation paranoia....tied to my phone by a cord....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Better safe than sorry, Bobby. They want to install smart electricity meters everywhere, but I will postpone as long as possible. I don't need to be able to see how I can save on electricity (that's their selling story), I can save by thinking myself. If forced there's always the aluminium foil trick (wrapped around the meter)  :D

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on December 07, 2016, 11:35:01 AM
Better safe than sorry, Bobby. They want to install smart electricity meters everywhere, but I will postpone as long as possible. I don't need to be able to see how I can save on electricity (that's their selling story), I can save by thinking myself. If forced there's always the aluminium foil trick (wrapped around the meter)  :D

Heh heh Think.For.Yourself. is the first commandment in the Book of Bobby.
Yeah they're pushing those invasive meters here as well...I said no, I'll self read if it comes to that and phone it in. Actually as here they only actually come to read every 2nd month I've been phoning in since I took over my Mom's house when she passed 14 years ago so I'll hardly notice the difference.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New