Icecream?

Started by Dune, December 02, 2016, 02:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

The weirdest thing happened yesterday, I must share this with you. Yesterday I came home because I had to pick something up, and I already heard the televison when I hadn't even entered. It was on a sports channel (which I usually avoid), and blaring. Couldn't have been my wife, she wasn't even home (and she's not a huge sports fan either). Well, switched it to standby again, and also lowered the thermostat, as it was pretty hot in the house (way too hot, as a matter of fact).
The door bell rang; there was a guy with a huge box for me to sign for. "You're lucky I'm home", I said. He said he was a few blocks down the road and got through that I came home just now, so turned round to deliver. "Don't leave it out too long", he said. It turned out to be 8 literpacks of icecream. Eight?! I hadn't ordered any (though I do like icecream), but he showed me a manifest (or whatever it's called) with my name and address on it, and the mentioning of all the flavours. "I'm not going to pay for 8 liters of icecream", I protested, but he laughed (well, more of a polite grin), and told me it was already paid for, pointing at a few lines of wording which said it was indeed paid for... automatically from my own account.
I protested again, as I don't have an agreement with this icecream business, nor do they have authority to be paid automatically. But the guy was only delivering, he said, and he got kind of itchy, wanting to get on.
I must explain that we have some of the newest web-related gadgets in the house, and I got the queer feeling that we've been hacked. How could he have known I was near my home? Who ordered the icecream; my wife (no, she doesn't even like icecream), the fridge itself? How come the telly was on? I always make sure it's on standby when I leave....

Isn't it frightening? I think I'm going to shut down a thing or two.

René

Is your house build on a former cemetery? :)

AP

YOU ONLY MOVED THE HEADSTONES! WHY?! WHY?!

N-drju

Hehehe, good one AP. ;)

But seriously Ulco, you should have called the police and incapacitate this so called "delivery man"... Seriously. I would have never accepted something that I did not order, much less let the guy go!
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

AP

Yes, in all seriousness, I would not let that go. No doubt it is rather an odd situation. 

N-drju

And remember that the CIA wanted to assassinate Fidel with a poisoned icecream cone. :P

Ulco, but did you check your account? What does the balance say? I believe that this is the first thing you need to check.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Hannes

Wow, that's indeed frightening! I hope you'll find out what happened!

Ariel DK

Quote from: Dune on December 02, 2016, 02:34:02 AM
we have some of the newest web-related gadgets in the house

It sounds like you have HAL-9000 installed at your home Ulco...

Quote from: N-drju on December 02, 2016, 04:53:20 AM
Hehehe, good one AP. ;)

But seriously Ulco, you should have called the police and incapacitate this so called "delivery man"... Seriously. I would have never accepted something that I did not order, much less let the guy go!

I don't think that the delivery man has been any responsibility, in my opinion, he's only paid to do his job, that's all.
Hmmm, what version of Terragen does God use?

archonforest

Wow! :o
For sure chk with the bank who pulled the money...etc.  Perhaps tell them to freeze your account/card temporary. This is pretty alarming.

This is the why I do not go for the modern everything on the net stuff. Minimal internet, mobile use, no cloud services...etc.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

j meyer

Wish you good luck getting that in order again.

fleetwood

Quite strange indeed, does sound like a prank web hack of some sort (but if I was in middle school I'd make sure I ended up with the ice cream) or like the start of a spy movie.
Modern day St. Nicholas ? Maybe go out and check the yard for Reindeer droppings.

PabloMack

I have seen one of my TVs on unexplainably 2 or 3 times during the couple of years I've had it. I think they can receive stray signals to make them come on or something flips inside the circuitry in the wireless section that can make them come on for no apparent reason. I would consider the TV coming on by itself as something independent from the delivery guy bringing you ice cream. My first thought about that was that an anonymous friend gave you a gift but because it was paid for with your account then probably not. So what kind of account was it paid with? Credit Card? Debit Card? For your sake I hope it was a credit card. I think a CC company won't hold you liable if you explain it to them.

Dune

Dune

Well, to be honest, I pulled your leg(s). Didn't you think there was something fishy about it? So it's pretty real, huh? This was a little story I woke up with, thinking about how dangerous the web-related technology can get... you know: smart electricity meters that can be influenced from some (far away) server, cars being driven off the road by ingenious hackers standing on bridges looking at their havoc created, televison sets downloading (illegal) stuff without you knowing it, huge amounts of icecream being delivered (and the delivery man knowing exactly where you are, because your phone tells it to the world!!!)..... even entering a shop, the attendant probably already knows (from your internet behavior) what you come looking for, and he will say: "Come this way, sir, I have exactly what you are looking for, if I'm not mistaken..." (grinning)

Matt

Hmm... and I was thinking the most likely explanation is that a homeless person broke into your house and ordered ice cream with your debit card.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.