Rocks, sand, dirt

Started by Martin, December 04, 2016, 11:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

I think I will scrap my voronoi cell based displacement node network ,and use the simple voronoi noise one.
It worked really well for smaller cliffs on earlier pictures, but whatever I do, these big rock towers look odd.
The vertical rock displacements are changed into horizontal rocks.

And a sea volcano. I'll update it soon

Martin

I tweaked that tower cliff too much, I just can't get good results anymore ugh.
Also night time and day time volcano

Martin

Tonight's renders.

Kadri

All interesting examples.
Your texturing-coloring style looks kind of unique.

Martin

Quote from: Kadri on December 31, 2016, 04:59:10 AM

All interesting examples.
Your texturing-coloring style looks kind of unique.

Oh thank you!
To be honest, that's really good to hear! :)

KlausK

Very nice examples of what`s possible in TG.
Your computer must be blanzing hot ;)
cheers, Klaus
/ ASUS WS Mainboard / Dual XEON E5-2640v3 / 64GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 TI / Win7 Ultimate . . . still (||-:-||)

Jo Kariboo

You are very creative and productive. Many of your pictures have some new things in software exploration.

Martin

Thanks everyone!
A few other experiements

Oshyan

I like a lot of these, especially the towers. I hope you are saving versions of your scenes along the way so that you can reproduce what you create later on in other scenes. Your comment about "tweaking the tower cliff too much" makes me wonder if maybe you are just saving as a single TGD for some of these scenes and overwriting each time. TGDs are small so in my opinion it's best to save lots of them, with consecutive version numbers, and name your renders the same as the TGD so you can go back later and know exactly what TGD created each image. Hopefully you're already doing something like this. :)

- Oshyan

Martin

Quote from: Oshyan on January 02, 2017, 01:33:47 AM
I like a lot of these, especially the towers. I hope you are saving versions of your scenes along the way so that you can reproduce what you create later on in other scenes. Your comment about "tweaking the tower cliff too much" makes me wonder if maybe you are just saving as a single TGD for some of these scenes and overwriting each time. TGDs are small so in my opinion it's best to save lots of them, with consecutive version numbers, and name your renders the same as the TGD so you can go back later and know exactly what TGD created each image. Hopefully you're already doing something like this. :)

- Oshyan

Oh I have separate tgd files for every version!
What I meant is after hours or days of work and tweaking, sometimes I realise that the original version I made days ago was in fact better. But I usually save a new file even if I change the lights etc!
I went back to an older file and made some tweaking again and made one or two renders.
Originally I made several different types of displacements- voronoi cells vertically stretched mixed with horizontally stretched voronoi cell noice, mixed with simple voronoi nose vertically stretched mixed with horizontally stretched mixed with voronoi billows horizontal-vertical etc. So a lot of variety. But then I've got some errors so I ended up using just one type of noise. However looking back I like the variety so I will play with that old scene. Also This old file has the old Rock shader I made a month ago, while the new ones had a new shader I made based on those big Chinese sandstone cliffs. 

Also made a Titan moon scene, but I realised this morning after 9 hours of render that I overdid the reflection on the rocks, and forgot to switch on the tiny noise displacement, so I will have to tweak this one as well.

DocCharly65

Wow - the titan moon scene is great! Saw a documentations about this moon just a few days ago. Their animations could have based on your render  ;)

Martin

Quote from: DocCharly65 on January 02, 2017, 07:21:16 AM
Wow - the titan moon scene is great! Saw a documentations about this moon just a few days ago. Their animations could have based on your render  ;)

For some reason the science documentaries have really cheap visualisations when it's a moon- or exoplanet surface:S

Martin

Updates:

I forgot to click on the change view to render camera button so I accidentally made a random close up cliff render... and it's not bad! haha

Also fixed the Titan scene. Added some proper ground texture, orangish    sand-dust on top of everything, fixed the stone sizes and distribution, no reflections, better displacement on the rocks.
Not sure if liquid methane looks like this but oh well...

Also a render with the new cliff textures(the over tweaked ) The detail noise displacement is a bit too strong, the clouds could be better, so it's not a very good pic.

update:  I added the first titan render, for some reason the atmosphere didn't render properly (at least you can see there's a moon in the background)

Martin

Ah Still so many things to change. The Water - I mean liquid methane ended up looking really odd, the sand doesn't look right either, on the other render the top of the clouds are chopped off.

Martin

added some big ass rocks and ground fog to the Titan picture, tweaked the old rock cliff file, tweak the new cliff file, and made a monolith picture.