Rocks, sand, dirt

Started by Martin, December 04, 2016, 11:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

Finally, my pc didn't freeze last night during render. ugh.
So here's the new bunch
Mars, dead trees etc

Martin

second part of the bunch:)

Martin

More.

Martin

Last renders for today. What do you think?

Martin

I lied, here's more

Kadri

I like "newmars 14 j.jpg" especially.

The postwork on the images is a little too much for my taste. I feel like if i have a problem in my eyes even :)

inkydigit

Quote from: Kadri on January 21, 2017, 11:44:35 PM

I like "newmars 14 j.jpg" especially.

The postwork on the images is a little too much for my taste. I feel like if i have a problem in my eyes even :)
I echo Kadri, lovely renders, but the lens distortion/aberration is too strong, if it was barely perceptible it would become better (imho)!
Cheers
Jason

René

Many great renderings especially those with a vintage look, which is really my thing. Yes, there is too much depth of field which makes it look like a macro shot. Otherwise great work. :)

Oshyan

I think the NEWDESERTROCKS series are the best here. They look the most like a "final" scene. The others are interesting, often good, but look more like texture/material/displacement tests.

I also want to mention that when you render with objects, memory use will go up. So that may be why things started crashing, if you're used to doing *5 renders at once* (which, by the way, is very unusual; I'm not aware of anyone else who does that). If, for example, your renders each typically used 2-3GB of memory, that's 10-15GB. Adding objects will increase that by a notable amount, perhaps another 1GB, which could easily overwhelm your memory. So you may be better off doing "only" 3 renders at a time, for example.

- Oshyan

Martin

Quote from: Oshyan on January 22, 2017, 01:30:26 PM
I think the NEWDESERTROCKS series are the best here. They look the most like a "final" scene. The others are interesting, often good, but look more like texture/material/displacement tests.

I also want to mention that when you render with objects, memory use will go up. So that may be why things started crashing, if you're used to doing *5 renders at once* (which, by the way, is very unusual; I'm not aware of anyone else who does that). If, for example, your renders each typically used 2-3GB of memory, that's 10-15GB. Adding objects will increase that by a notable amount, perhaps another 1GB, which could easily overwhelm your memory. So you may be better off doing "only" 3 renders at a time, for example.

- Oshyan

Well, the best thing in terragen that I can create huge worlds and then explore it and find interesting landscapes to render. So I never use it to create one precise picture, more like flying around and snapping photographs. I will hold back with the post effects , it just looked good with the old retro styled extraterrestrial landscapes. MAybe if I could render in higher resolutions...but I use the free version. Maybe someday when I buy the creative version)

The last time it crashed I was only rendering two pictures (So I had a lot of free memory (I have 32gb, but I know that a lot of people are using 64 gb these days) It always crashes when I'm changing things on a scene, so...seems like sometimes terragen just crashes  windows. Well it doesn't happen too often so it's alright.

Martin

A cloudy desert rock render, another alien night render and a scene I was trying to render for a long time but I gave up-
A spacelift- for some reason an object long enough to connect two planets is just too much for terragen. I've been rendering these pictures for more than 15 hours and it's still less than half way finished. also it doesn't look visually interesting so I won't work on it anymore. Not to mention that the whole idea is physically impossible of course .(even with a gravitationally locked planet -moon will have a slightly elliptic orbit)

Kadri

Interesting.
I used a very big object (around 1 GB) without problem in Terragen (And there were other objects too).
Too much micro displacement and-or reflection on the object?

Martin

Quote from: Kadri on January 22, 2017, 02:20:22 PM

Interesting.
I used a very big object (around 1 GB) without problem in Terragen mre then once (And there were other objects too).
Too much micro displacement and-or reflection on the object?

That's the strange thing! No displacement or reflection on it at all. Seems like the fact that it connects two planets is somehow too much for terragen. Not sure why.

Kadri

Strange indeed. You might have seen this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k0kbj7QmvM

Have you tried to render the object separately?

Martin

Quote from: Kadri on January 22, 2017, 02:45:40 PM

Strange indeed. You might have seen this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k0kbj7QmvM

Have you tried to render the object separately?

Oh wow, talk about physically possible things haha
Looks amazing. I've been neglecting proper hard surface modelling last year.
I've Never tried to render separate objects. Not even sure if it's possible in the free version.