Rocks, sand, dirt

Started by Martin, December 04, 2016, 11:05:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

Hope you don't mind if I keep posting my experiments.

luvsmuzik

Nope. Each one is a marvel. Very interesting and unusually beautiful. This series looks like the "Standing Stones" (not rolling) ;D

Martin

Quote from: luvsmuzik on February 08, 2017, 12:53:37 AM
Nope. Each one is a marvel. Very interesting and unusually beautiful. This series looks like the "Standing Stones" (not rolling) ;D
Well, I had a standing stone picture series earlier last month:)

Martin

Tried to make a new ground texture node network, so when I want to render some nice rock formations and I need a ground shader that looks good from high up as well as upclose I can just insert this node network.
I have to tweak it but I think it works.
A few renders made at 3 km height, 800 meters, 10 meters, 2 meters.

Hannes

Carry on!! "Cartoonmars 44" looks like a Star Wars podrace backdrop. Great.
And some of your ground textures look like someone had swept it with a broom. Interesting.

Martin

Quote from: Hannes on February 08, 2017, 04:33:31 AM
Carry on!! "Cartoonmars 44" looks like a Star Wars podrace backdrop. Great.
And some of your ground textures look like someone had swept it with a broom. Interesting.

I used to make podrace scenes in 3ds max years ago:) So I learned a lot from those star wars rocks! Phantom menace had some amazing rock miniatures! Too bad they were more proud of those early cgi creations than those amazing miniatures.

Also that broom effect is something you can see on satelite images:) I checked google maps for references. A few quick look at the Nevadan desert and I have all the reference I need !

The shader is finished, tweaked it until I'm satisfied with it : )

Martin

The new shader in action

Hannes

Great!! The ground texture looks fantastic!!

Martin

Quote from: Hannes on February 08, 2017, 05:55:19 AM
Great!! The ground texture looks fantastic!!
Yeah, I'm happy with it^^
Also , I totally forgot about this render:

luvsmuzik

I know you are doing Mars....but I truly expect to see a new Mt. Rushmore soon. Such precision displacements. :)

Hannes

fleetwood

Good series and multi-distance texture. Mars44J is grand.

Martin

Quote from: luvsmuzik on February 08, 2017, 10:44:26 AM
I know you are doing Mars....but I truly expect to see a new Mt. Rushmore soon. Such precision displacements. :)

Well, not Mt. Rushmore, as this is Mars, but you have Mount Zblorgmore, with the carved faces  of the first Warglars of Mars. (yeah, I had to do  15 minutes of zbrush sculpting haha)

TheBadger

Hannes,

lol ;) :D ;D nice dig. Now that is good CLEAN fun.

Nice stuff Martin
It has been eaten.

Martin

Ah,nice to see that after all these years, the carved face of Lord Lonrthox is still visible.