Wine and Terragen 4

Started by rajm, December 11, 2016, 09:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rajm

Is anyone else attempting to use terragen 4 with linux.wine? I've just tried the free download (while trying to decide whether to upgrade) and get the following on trying to install the msi:

msiexec -i Terragen_4_Win64_40040.msi
err:winsock:WSAIoctl -> _WSAIO(IOC_WS2, 23) request failed with status 0x2733
err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"mDNSCoreReceiveResponse: Received from 192.168.0.27:5353   15 27.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. PTR myHost.local."
err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"mDNSCoreReceiveResponse: Unexpected conflict discarding   17 27.0.168.192.in-addr.arpa. PTR localhost.local."
err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"mDNSCoreReceiveResponse: Received from 192.168.0.27:5353   15 9.b.b.0.5.1.e.c.6.f.1.e.d.8.4.8.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.8.e.f.ip6.arpa. PTR myHost.local."
err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"mDNSCoreReceiveResponse: Unexpected conflict discarding   17 9.B.B.0.5.1.E.C.6.F.1.E.D.8.4.8.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.8.E.F.ip6.arpa. PTR localhost.local."
~/Downloads$ wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000000 at address 0x477a0c (thread 004d), starting debugger...

where myHost == hostname of machine I ran it on. In winecfg I've set the windows version as 8.1. Address 0x0 doesn't look good but maybe its a consequence of those network errors?!

Robert

rajm

I eventually get time to return to this and - in case this helps someone else - the issue was that I was running the 32 bit version of wine against a 64 bit installer. Liberal use of WINEPREFIX=~/.wine64 sorted this out - for winecfg and install and then run. I also need to do the Arial.ttf hack (see the thread elsewhere in this forum for that one!)

Robert

Chinaski

Quote from: rajm on February 28, 2017, 12:08:00 PMI also need to do the Arial.ttf hack (see the thread elsewhere in this forum for that one!)

About that (this is the famous topic I think)... I'm having difficulty with the font install. Could someone explain to me the procedure, step by step (new wine user, and new Linux user)? Beside that (no title on the nodes) everything seems to work well (TG4 preview version on Mint via Wine & PlayOnLinux).
You don't understand me ? That's normal, I don't speak english.

WAS

What exactly are you having issues with during the install? I haven't tried this myself but from looking at the topic you need to install in Wine64. Or use an older TG for 32bit.

You than need to download the Arial font (https://github.com/JotJunior/PHP-Boleto-ZF2/blob/master/public/assets/fonts/arial.ttf) and copy it to "~/.wine/drive_c/windows/Fonts/" (from your User folder).

Than you'll need to use regedit (Cmd: "wine regedit") [see https://wiki.winehq.org/Regedit], head to HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\Fonts and add a new entry "Arial (TrueType)" with the value "arial.ttf"

Than you should have TrueType Arial working for TG.

Let me know if you need further assistance. I can always VM a Debian copy and check things out.

From what I know of WINE and it's CPU usage, and performance, you may actually get better performance with a VM of Windows 10 slipstreamed. Though it varies on what is being done. 

Chinaski

Thank you for your answer. Exactly what I have done.

The strange thing is that wine regedit give me a "Arial (TrueType)" with the value "arial.ttf" (good), but when I look at the registry via PlayOnLinux I have a "Arial (TrueType)" with the value "Z:\usr\share\fonts\truetype\arial\arial.ttf", and if I edit the value it doesn't register the change. I must have fucked up somewhere... I'll retry from the start (kill the virtual drive, rebuild a new one) tonight and try to understand what's going on.
You don't understand me ? That's normal, I don't speak english.

WAS

Quote from: Chinaski on June 04, 2019, 01:41:25 PM
Thank you for your answer. Exactly what I have done.

The strange thing is that wine regedit give me a "Arial (TrueType)" with the value "arial.ttf" (good), but when I look at the registry via PlayOnLinux I have a "Arial (TrueType)" with the value "Z:\usr\share\fonts\truetype\arial\arial.ttf", and if I edit the value it doesn't register the change. I must have fucked up somewhere... I'll retry from the start (kill the virtual drive, rebuild a new one) tonight and try to understand what's going on.

Hmm. I wonder if that's a functionality of newer Wine builds and using it's own font files. That would cause problems with programs trying to use windows fonts rather than being served a path.

rajm

I'm now getting crashes in terragen, renewed licence and running 4.4.49 just to be sure. It starts ok but crashes whenever it interacts with a tgd file, saving or loading. exception in RtlIsValidIndexHandle - if there are still Wine users reading is it still working for you? Tried on both Ubuntu and Mageia Linux installs, crashes in both cases

WAS

Honestly, TG isn't running on that stable of a framework from a Windows perspective alone, and I can't imagine WINE support to be any better. You would get much better stability just running a Windows VM and working within it. You could than just render with the Terragen node in Linux.

ares2101

Anyone have any luck with this lately?  I've been getting into Linux lately and Terragen has been a sticky problem.  It's not that big a deal keeping the dual-boot setup, but it would be nice to use this within Wine.  I can get it installed lately with a bit of finagling, but it crashes less than a minute after opening, even if I do nothing.  Using a Windows Virtual Machine is of course a possibility, but that cuts into system resources and there's a couple of graphical glitches in the UI.

Any thoughts?

WAS

If your machine supports KVM you shouldn't get to big of a impact on resources. My server does and the render time for TG is basically the same as rendering in Linux itself with the Linux Node. Linux Node is a little faster, but it's negligible, especially with the render I do give it, which are ones I can't do at home and take ages (days).

You mention it crashes less than a minute after launching in WINE. Our of curiosity, could you try closing the 3D preview as soon as it starts and see if it continues to crash? If it's stable without the 3D preview, maybe that narrows down just one area that needs some attention to be compatible in WINE.

ares2101

Quote from: WAS on June 05, 2021, 11:56:44 PMIf your machine supports KVM you shouldn't get to big of a impact on resources. My server does and the render time for TG is basically the same as rendering in Linux itself with the Linux Node. Linux Node is a little faster, but it's negligible, especially with the render I do give it, which are ones I can't do at home and take ages (days).

You mention it crashes less than a minute after launching in WINE. Our of curiosity, could you try closing the 3D preview as soon as it starts and see if it continues to crash? If it's stable without the 3D preview, maybe that narrows down just one area that needs some attention to be compatible in WINE.
Huh, yeah, pausing the 3d preview kept it stable.  Rendered my default scene, which defintely was slower in wine.  I was using virtualbox before, not kvm, for vms.  I'll see if that works better.

ares2101

KVM is looks to be a fair bit of trouble for some stuff that VirtualBox does easily, like shared folders and extra monitors.  Maybe before diving into that, I should see if my minor issues in VirtualBox can be overcome.  A common minor graphical glitch I get in Terragen is the sun appearing as a small black dot around the compass thing there.  This would be no biggie if it still orbited the compass when it moves, but it instead orbits a point roughly on the lower line of the Water Tab.  What sort of issue would cause that?  It may help to answer a handful of other minor artifacts and glitches I get.

Edit: Apparently it's the 3D acceleration setting that does this, but turning it off creates issues with the atmosphere in the 3D preview...

WAS

KVMs are notoriously user-involved. Lots of configuring from one thing to the other, which I think is why we have VirtualMachine/Box.