chrome surface

Started by archonforest, December 17, 2016, 02:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archonforest

Searched the forum but no real luck thus I ask here. What is the best way to create a surface that reflects like chrome?
I am playing with the reflection shader since a while but nothing similar comes as a chrome.

Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

archonforest

Thx Kadri. I looked at this one today but did not seemed a real chrome surface....well I will download the sample to see it in TG.
Tku again :)

Kadri

There were-are others. Marc shared some too. But on Ashunder unfortunately.

archonforest

Yeah got it.
I saw a v-ray render of some balls and first I thought it is not a big deal and I can do this in TG but it looks like harder than i thought. Anyway I will still try to reproduce that image... :D

Hannes

Just use a totally black surface layer and add a reflective shader as a child layer with "index of refraction" set to 3.

EDIT: you don't need the black surface layer if you want nothing but the chrome. Just connect the reflective shader with the object's surface shader input,

archonforest

Quote from: Hannes on December 18, 2016, 11:01:01 AM
Just use a totally black surface layer and add a reflective shader as a child layer with "index of refraction" set to 3.

EDIT: you don't need the black surface layer if you want nothing but the chrome. Just connect the reflective shader with the object's surface shader input,

Thank you for the tip.  :)
Is there a way make the specular highligh sharper? Right now it is blurry and seem like no changes I tried so far makes a visible different on it. Like on a very polished reflective ball the highlight would be pretty sharp.

j meyer

It should be sufficient to set specular roughness to something like 0.05 or even less
to achieve this.

archonforest

Quote from: j meyer on December 18, 2016, 02:01:37 PM
It should be sufficient to set specular roughness to something like 0.05 or even less
to achieve this.

Thx! 0.015 did the trick. :)

fleetwood

I find using a refractive index like 9.0 gives a more metallic effect, regardless of the true refractive index of chromium.
examples of refractive index 3.0 and 9.0 on black color surface roughness 0.02

archonforest

Thx Fleetwood.  ;)

My next problem to solve is the reflection of the nearby ball on the main ball. The reflection is a bit jagged. Playing with the render subdiv settings. Getting a bit smoother reflection but I want to kill all jagged parts. There is an AA section under Render Pixel Sampler. Does anybody played with that?

Kadri

Not sure about the other options but i think you might have to use the "360 degree detail"
(Render node+Advanced tab+Ray detail region) option too i think.

Hannes

As far as I remember you need to increase the ray detail multiplier (render subdivision settings) to 1 to get correct reflections. I don't know, if Kadri's tip works kind of similar?!

AP

I often wonder if there is a way to differentiate the chrome from looking like a mirror surface. Glassy verses metallic.

Dune

How do you mean that? Chrome is like a mirror, isn't it?