Terragen to VR

Started by mash, December 20, 2016, 12:11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mash

Hi, I got an HTC vive and I've been tinkering around with doing some spherical camera renders.
I looked through the Terragen VR contest and didn't see any answers to some specific questions I have.
1. does any one know of a good 360 image viewer for the HTC vive? at the moment I'm using the 360 photo viewer for the occlus rift through a software hack.
2. I rendered out a simple scene with a spherical camera at  3200x1600. I know the head set has a maximum resolution of 2160x1200. Is there an an idea of a rough ball park resolution to render at? It seems like overkill to render at say 8000x4000 if it's not even going to be noticed in the head set.
3. When I was looking at the render I noticed what looks like a thin 1 pixel black line where the to edges of the image meet. I don't see this line in any downloaded 360 photos. Any idea how to get rid of this in the rendered image? Aside from taking it into Photoshop.
Thanks,
Michael

Matt

This year I've been using Virtual Desktop. It expects you to put your images in a specific folder in My Pictures, which I find a bit limiting, but it gets the job done and the quality seems high enough.

For the Vive I recommend rendering to 4000x2000 or perhaps 4096x2048. I've done tests in Virtual Desktop as well as custom-developed viewers in Unity with various interpolation methods. It's difficult to notice any improvement above 4000x2000. I'll recommend the same for the Oculus Rift because of earlier experiences in other viewers on the DK2 where 4K was about the maximum you could see without it starting to alias and negligible gains in perceived detail. Future hardware (and perhaps some current hardware) is going to have better resolution so you might consider higher resolutions if you're thinking about future uses, but not for the Vive.

You'll see fewer edge problems in Terragen skies if you render with Defer Atmo/Cloud. Terrain might still have issues. You could render slightly wider and chop off a few pixels as a simpler alternative to painting over the gaps. It's been difficult fixing all edge problems but we should improve this in future builds.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Dune

Does this still hold true for current VR glasses? Resolution-wise, I mean. I may have to do a landscape for an (unknown) VR system/glasses, and hesitated because of the 8000x4000 render (for no budget of theirs :P  ), so if 4000 or 5000 wide would be sufficient, I'd be happy.

D.A. Bentley (SuddenPlanet)

@mash - If you know how to use Unity (Game Engine) you could import your spherical renders and view them in VR.  I'm sure Unreal Engine would work as well.