Dried mud Shader

Started by glen5700, January 01, 2007, 09:02:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

glen5700

Now there's a subject that will get everyones attention. :)       

This is started from the "Building a Terrain from functions" tutorial.

Please don't mind the simple scenes, I wanted to give an example of what it looks like. I have also included a link for the scene download which includes a .ter file for the mountains in the background, you may have to relink the file. All the basic controls are to the right of the Terrain group, I think there self explanatory. I added a Perlin noise function so the Voronoi isn't so perfect, use the Voronoi Perlin mix settings to affect how much Perlin is added and the Perlin Scale for it's size.

Hope this proves useful,
Glen

http://www.3ddigitalgraphics.com/terragen/voronoi.zip  - With mountains 1.9mb

http://www.3ddigitalgraphics.com/terragen/voronoi_no_mountains.zip  - No mountains 5kb

MooseDog

this forum needs a thumbs-up emoticon.  thx for sharing :)  very nice work!

Sethren

Dry lake beds. To nice!    :o

swiftstream

I've been playing with this just a little myself, working on getting a more realistic effect. One of the bigger problems is that in real life, in contrast to the Voronai effect, this happens on more than one scale. I've experimented with overlaying two Voronai shaders on different scales together (one about half the scale of the other) but I'm not terribly happy with the results yet.

Anyway, thanks for sharing.

glen5700

Thanks for the comments!

It's by no means perfect, but it's a start. What it really needs is to have a fractal function applied to the Voronai with octaves setting. Then you could get the detail you are talking about, the render times could get quite high depending on how many octaves were applied.

I don't know if it's possible to make a fractal function out of the existing functions, could be worth a try. I wonder if they will be adding more functions before the final release?

Glen

littlecannon

Lookin good... I see the potential here.. Keep it up. :o
I just need to tweak that texture a bit more...

swiftstream

Quote from: glen5700 on January 02, 2007, 12:50:01 AMWhat it really needs is to have a fractal function applied to the Voronoi with octaves setting. Then you could get the detail you are talking about, the render times could get quite high depending on how many octaves were applied.

You're right, of course. I've been trying to fake it, but it's not very convincing.

I'm still trying to think of ways to fake it and/or do it in a somewhat more roundabout way, but I haven't come up with any yet...

I think 2 or 3 octaves would probably give a convincing effect, so it may be reasonable to do it manually... I just have to figure out how.

glen5700

Swiftstream,

I will probably give it a go and see what I can come up with. If you come up with anything please post it.

Thanks,
Glen

glen5700

Here are a couple of test I did over my lunch hour, it's a bit of an improvement.
Glen

crazymonkey

awesome man, thanks for sharing :)

glen5700

Here is the latest, not to much different from my previous post but the scene file is available for download.

Thanks for all the comments,
Glen

Oshyan

Excellent work guys. We will indeed be including more shaders and greater control in future versions. This will hopefully allow you to do this effect more realistically with less trouble. In the meantime you guys are doing great in pushing things further. :)

- Oshyan

Sethren

A crack noise shader with turbulence functions would be nice.    ;D