Odd Discovery

Started by bobbystahr, January 28, 2017, 07:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

In my review of images I'd render when i got a real computer I stopped today on the TibetHouseScene I shared some time ago here. I changed the light from front to back as the house has lanterns(lovely things)and I wanted it darker to see them. Then decided I'd up the atmo to 3 at 32 samples and when the light shone through the lanterns which were treated as zero IoR glass thru a Merge using the default colours, mainly red and when it rendered it looked like the world was on fire. The light colour was altered by the lantern colour....doesn't show up like that at Haze=1 but it was a neat discovery. When I finish the WIP test I'm doing I'll post them both here.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

bobbystahr

Here's the wip and the curious discovery
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

N-drju

Experimenting with extreme values is kind of nice I would say. :) If you are anything like me and are keen on fantasy or sci-fi scenes, this is particularly useful - you can discover many features that can later be used in otherworldly scenes. :)
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Dune

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on January 29, 2017, 10:21:39 AM
Very arty.

An interesting discovery about light transmisssion in haze though, gonna have to experiment more with this.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Oshyan

I don't actually understand your description of what made it render all red like that, but the first image - without all the red - is really quite nice! I like the reflection of the lanterns in the water.

- Oshyan

bobbystahr

Quote from: Oshyan on January 29, 2017, 04:12:36 PM
I don't actually understand your description of what made it render all red like that, but the first image - without all the red - is really quite nice! I like the reflection of the lanterns in the water.

- Oshyan

When I turned haze to a setting of 3 the atmosphere just lit up like that and the only source of red anywhere in the scene is the lanterns which were essentially a Glass shader and the Default shader with the lantern map run thru a Merge set to Add and 1.0 IoR on the glass. When I turned the haze down to 1 the red disappeared. No other changes. I guess I should do a few experiments with that.
And thanks, the un red one was the goal, happy you like it....and not the error which is only an interesting thing to explore.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

luvsmuzik

Curious....by chance was experimental bloom in use?
I tried to fog up my castle scene in a darker mood using both bloom and burst and got some weird stuff too. I had several luminous shaders set at 10 ...too.

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on January 29, 2017, 10:27:58 PM
Curious....by chance was experimental bloom in use?
I tried to fog up my castle scene in a darker mood using both bloom and burst and got some weird stuff too. I had several luminous shaders set at 10 ...too.

Hadn't thought of that, I'll check later as it's on my other computer

Doing a few tests and at final res D .5 AA 6 the effect is not there but at full size but low res D .2 AA 2 the effect is back

And now I've done a full size with low settings and it comes out "normal" or correct...oh well some things are bound to remain a mystery to some, me being one of some.

Seems it only works on crops, hmmmm
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

N-drju

On a different note Bobby... is that normal water shader or a surface shader with reflective child that you used in the "Tibet House"?
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

bobbystahr

Quote from: N-drju on January 30, 2017, 02:36:07 AM
On a different note Bobby... is that normal water shader or a surface shader with reflective child that you used in the "Tibet House"?

Yes but on a plane not the lake and it has  disabled reflection in the water with a Reflection shader after the water with Reflection softness set to.003 for the cool lantern reflections.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New