Terminator

Started by Mahnmut, September 11, 2007, 03:26:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mahnmut

Hi,
that´s my first entry.
It´s a view of my terraformed version of Mars, based on a bumpmap from the celestia motherlode.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1148/1361172831_c893c6626d_o.jpg

I´ve got some problem with the terminator, the light-shadow border seems very soft on the ground, although I turned of the enviro-light.
At the other hand the clouds seem cut, i think because they´re 2d.
Here you can see the problem more clearly:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1130/1362200732_7dca56d980_o.jpg

Thank you for any critique or help!

P.S.:
I´m not sure if I put the urls in the right way. Sorry.

rcallicotte

Not sure I see the problem.  Sorry.

By the way, you can just put the URL into the textarea and it will figure out it's a URL.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mahnmut

thanks for the url-tip.
In the second pic you can see that the lighted part of the clouds simply stops next to the dark side of the planet instead of reaching into it, what it should do because they´re higher up than the ground.

rcallicotte

I wonder a couple of things -

If this is 3D (not a graphics map), then it could be GI.  What are your GI settings?

If this is a graphics map, it might have something to do with the way that was implemented or a mixture of elements not meshing.

I'm being less than specific, since I don't know.  A TGD might help, but then if it's a map there's a problem with transfer.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Mahnmut

the clouds are 2d-cirrus clouds as tg offers them + one layer of 3d altocumuli.
my gi settings are detail2, quality 2, anything more would kill my computer ;)
i am just wondering why the clouds cease being lighted "before" the ground does.
Thanks.

RArcher

I would hazard a guess that this is the same GI issue BigBen has been fighting with.  See this thread for details:

http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1778.0

Mahnmut

Mr_Lamppost

This may be related to Big Ben's problem but I suspect that there is a problem with shadows in 2D cirrus when the sunlight is striking the cirrus layer horizontally.

A while ago I tried a sunset animation which included a 2D cirrus layer. The sinking sun was followed by a dark band in the cirrus layer. 

I have not had time to test/duplicate this so had not posted the problem but you look to be suffering from the same thing.

Example frames:

Smoke me a kipper I'll be back for breakfast.

Oshyan

That looks more like the problem than the GI issue. Are either of you using the Coverage Offset in the cloud controls?

- Oshyan

Mahnmut

Excuse me, I can´t find the coverage offset.  :-[
In case I use it, would it be part of the problem or part of the solution?
I´m using coverage adjust.

I did try the gi-changes, detail1 or both 8 (small cropped region),
neither did help in my case.

Thanks.

Matt

What you're seeing extending onto the dark side of the planet is the atmosphere, not the ground. The water in this region also reflects the dusk atmosphere, so you can see some shoreline effects, which might explain why it looks as though the terrain is being illuminated on the dark side.

3D clouds will give a softer boundary at the terminator. You might also want to increase your cloud altitude because it is being cut off by some of the higher terrain, even on the day side.

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

Quote from: Mahnmut on September 12, 2007, 07:10:11 AM
Excuse me, I can´t find the coverage offset.  :-[
In case I use it, would it be part of the problem or part of the solution?
I´m using coverage adjust.

I did try the gi-changes, detail1 or both 8 (small cropped region),
neither did help in my case.

Thanks.

Sorry, I meant Coverage Adjust, and it could be part of the problem, not likely part of the solution. I'd recommend against using it in the Cloud Shader itself if possible and instead adjust in the fractal noise shader attached to it. If it was being used try setting it to 0 and see if the problem remains.

- Oshyan

Mahnmut

it wasn´t the coverage adjust, but 3d clouds are a lot better, although there is still something strange.
Will also have to work out how to get that cirrus-look with 3d clouds.
Thanks to all of you!

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1398/1391061387_f037ef17a3_o.jpg

Mahnmut

Hi there.
I didn´t realize that this was really my first Post, but here I am again and have the same Problem.
There aren´t any 2d- cyrry involved this time, it is a new version of Tg, but still I got some strange lines around the terminator.

@ Nvseal:
Your Images are the best planetary cloudscapes I´ve seen in CG at all, but at least the ones I  remeber don´t show much surface detail, what is realistic.
Of course I wouldn´t deny that you are totally capable of making your clouds as revealing as you want to.
The question is if I would be able to modify your clouds that way (if I even had them.)
But maybe you can give me a hint on the "Terminator-Problem"?
You are the Master of Planetary clouds.
I abandoned the Topic one year ago because I couldn´t solve it despite all the help I already got.
Best Regards,
Jan