Low on memory

Started by AP, February 16, 2017, 02:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AP

Any idea as to what could be happening here? Has anyone else encountered similar issues?

archonforest

Yep several times...
When u render high resolution with high micro polly and AA then it uses lots of ram. One of my picture used up to 23Gb of ram while doing the final HD render.
Dell T5500 with Dual Hexa Xeon CPU 3Ghz, 32Gb ram, GTX 1080
Amiga 1200 8Mb ram, 8Gb ssd

AP

I thought as much and modifying the Virtual Memory settings, it appears to be solved at the moment.

N-drju

Ahhh, yes. The recurrent RAM woes...

It's just what it sounds. You either require more memory, or you can crank down some settings. Maybe also crop-render? Inserting lots of custom-made objects with varied textures also eats up the RAM. The latter is most serious trouble according to my observations.

Silly me - when I viewed the second attachment I actually clicked "OK"! ;D
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

Oshyan

Indeed, a major memory problem, running out of space. What are your detail settings, including micropoly detail, AA, GI, cloud and atmosphere samples, and soft shadow samples on light(s)?

I also want to mention that if you were customizing the Subdiv Cache sizes in previous versions of Terragen, you should not do so with TG4. We've put that setting into Subdiv Settings, but I think it may remain customized if you load an older project. So if you're rendering something you originally created in TG3 and you customized the subdiv cache size, returning that to auto may help reduce memory use.

- Oshyan

Matt

Quote from: Oshyan on February 16, 2017, 01:44:43 PM
I also want to mention that if you were customizing the Subdiv Cache sizes in previous versions of Terragen, you should not do so with TG4.

I agree.

We've put that setting into Subdiv Settings, but I think it may remain customized if you load an older project. So if you're rendering something you originally created in TG3 and you customized the subdiv cache size, returning that to auto may help reduce memory use.

You don't need to worry about this because it ignores the old setting. The change log says this:

"Settings to control the size of the subdiv cache will not be carried over from previous projects. The renderer now ignores these settings unless "Override size of subdiv cache" is turned on. By default it's off."

Matt
Just because milk is white doesn't mean that clouds are made of milk.

Oshyan

Ah, well... thanks for schooling me Matt. :D

- Oshyan

AP

It occurred again but it turns out that there was too many Easy clouds, about five. I reduced the number to three and no issues what so ever.

Oshyan

Ah, well that explains a bit. Easy Clouds use the new "v3" cloud scattering model which does use more memory than "v2" clouds (all clouds in TG3 were "v2"). The more layers of v3 clouds you use, the more cloud interaction there is, and the higher the memory use and render time.

- Oshyan

AP

I would have come to that conclusion sooner but I might have thought something else was causing the issue. It is alright though. There is usually other ways around such a dilemma.

luvsmuzik

No wonder his skies are always so cool.