Final Release on DVD or CD?

Started by rcallicotte, September 14, 2007, 10:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

efflux

I think it should be download only for everything. The only problem is that in some countries it can be a problem to pay for. I've seen posts in a few forums from people in certain countries where they could not buy software online.

Luxology actually abandoned the idea of a paper manual. It's downloads only now. In my opinion paper manuals are a waste of resources, from the actual paper to all the transportation and postage necessary. Paper manuals are inefficient to use as well. Digital documents can be searched.

Another point mentioned here is brand identification. I don't know what direction you could go in this respect but it's definitely something a bit lacking with Planetside. Websites have nothing recognizable, different icons for Mac and Win versions etc. It could definitely be a bit cooler but we're still at alpha version of the app so the apps development is first and foremost at present.

rcallicotte

I agree with this.

What I'd like to see is a purchased CD, which is a solid final version sitting among my other software. 

Quote from: efflux on September 16, 2007, 11:38:36 AM
Luxology actually abandoned the idea of a paper manual.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

sonshine777

Nobody has mentioned price! All of those big name software companies get big prices for their software, a big portion of that cost is producing the "paper" manual and creating the CD's. Is it worth the extra cost when you buy the final just so you can have another trophy on your shelf? As a side note many big name software companies are going to online download as an option. It is the way things are going, I think Planetside is just on the cutting edge. I don't think not producing a DVD/CD makes Planetside any less reputable. I will buy the download over the Hard copy any day.

Any way you can always burn it in a CD after you get the final, if archiving is the issue. :) 

efflux

Agree. If I was selling software it would be 100% download no matter how big the userbase. Then everything goes into development of the product and no unnecessary expenses for the developer or user.

Dark Fire

What everybody seems to be failing to realise is that, as current users of Terragen, we are all biased towards the download-only option as that is the only method of distribution at the moment. I'm sure there are lots of people out there who never buy software online, and besides, cool-looking boxes in shops would increase the awareness of Terragen. Personally, I think that boxed versions of Terragen could be quite appealing to those who have never thought of themselves being able to create beautiful landscapes using a computer. I think that Planetside have to consider whether increasing the number of people using Terragen and increasing the awareness of the product is worth the costs that will be incurred by producing CDs, boxes and manuals.

Whatever the solution, the brand identification definitely needs to be sorted out. I'd love to be able to buy (and proudly wear) a t-shirt with some sort of Terragen logo on.  ;D

rcallicotte

Everything I'm hearing is valid, based upon the arguments presented.  Everything depends upon Planetside's eventual audience.  Boxed software always (including Modo) comes from those in a certain group interested in selling to a specific client base.  Based upon the gradation from Terragen .9x to Terragen 2, this isn't Terragen .9x anymore and I see a major shift in quality as well as potential audience. 

Of course, this is really a call for Planetside marketing to make, of which I have nothing to say.  So, I'll reiterate that as a consumer I'd prefer an offical package.

Dark Fire

As a consumer, I'd prefer that Terragen t-shirt I keep on mentioning... ;D

Harvey Birdman

Ooh! Ooh! Ooh! That and coffee mugs!!

;D  ;D

dhavalmistry

"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Dark Fire

I have created a poll/topic for everybody to express their views on the merchandise here. Let's move this thread back to the original question now - will the final release be available on CD/DVD?

Oshyan

The option of a boxed copy is currently under discussion internally. If we do make one available it likely will not include a full printed manual as this does increase the cost significantly, not least in terms of shipping. The full manual will of course be available in PDF and may be offered in printed form as a separate purchase at some point if there is demand for it.

If we do go for a boxed option it would likely only be sold directly through us. The major cost of doing boxed software, aside from basic duplication and assembly (which can be done fairly easily and at reasonable cost by various service providers), is marketing and distribution. Whether we have a box or not I'm afraid you're not likely to see TG2 sitting on a shelf alongside 3DS Max or Maya any time soon. Buying this kind of software at retail in a store is increasingly rare and the effort and cost to get it onto store shelves would really be more than it's worth for us at this point.

We do intend to include some presets and example files with the final release, perhaps including objects as well. All materials should be available in the downloadable releases as well as any boxed editions we may offer.

- Oshyan

dhavalmistry

maybe a full printed manual is only available to people who bought the pre-release version...

Oshyan

Quote from: dhavalmistry on September 19, 2007, 03:32:08 PM
maybe a full printed manual is only available to people who bought the pre-release version...
Although we do certainly appreciate the pre-purchasers a great deal, there is already a significant discount for those who have purchased early. To tack on the cost of a printed manual to that would be a bit much for Planetside I think. ;)

- Oshyan

dhavalmistry

rcallicotte

I don't need a printed manual.  Just to clarify.

I'm glad Planetside is thinking about this and I think (notice this is just me here...not an expert on this or anything) it would be very professional to have a CD (or DVD) with the final version on it.  Maybe there could be extra clip files or examples or a PDF manual or whatever.  But, I like the idea of owning the TG2 CD with my own serial number on it.