Final Release on DVD or CD?

Started by rcallicotte, September 14, 2007, 10:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

hmmmm lloking at some of my software.... GlobalMapper - downloaded, OziExplorer - downloaded, PTGui - downloaded, XFrog plants (2xDVDs) - shipped from US (had trouble finding a local distributor and when I did the cost was substantially higher after taking conversion rates and shipping into account).  Given the size of the TG2 install it does seem a bit odd having a CD of it. Even on dialup it's quite painless.

If I can walk into a shop and buy something then I'd want media, but if I order/pay online I want it NOW!!! (if possible) ;D

Perhaps a PDF of a CD label and case cover so people can make their own media  ;)

Cyber-Angel

The other option is to have a "Product/s Section" here on the site like you'd find for other software vendors but I think that this would be over the Main Planetside site rather than here on the forums. This section would give information about pricing structure, box shots, feature comparison chart for the differant versions of TG2 which would either be on the site its self or as a download  in PDF format etc.

I think a manual in PDF format may be the way forward has this would have easier to keep updated as Terragen its self is updated and in cures non of the costs of printing and so forth,  This PDF must have some that says "Changes Since the Last Version" or words to that effect any way so that people know what has happened or you could do what an application called CCleaner dose and provide the change log so that people can see what has changed without having to come to the forums to read it. This would be of benefit to IT Managers, Studio Software Buyers and Training Facilities so they know what to expect when setting up pre-deployment testing  before rolling it out across their systems.

Places like Studios and VFX Houses are going to want to deploy their software solutions via servers as are some home users with a small server farm at home so some time in the future "TG2 Server" would be a great addition to the Terragen product line.

Regards to you

Cyber-Angel

Dark Fire

I prefer all manuals in PDF format, as they can be searched so much more easily. :D

I also like the idea of printable CD/DVD, case and box cover PDFs...

sjefen

I'm getting really good at digging up old threads ::)

Quote from: Oshyan on September 19, 2007, 03:04:23 PM
The option of a boxed copy is currently under discussion internally.

Just wondering if this is still a discussion? :P
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

Dark Fire

I'm still happy to discuss this issue, but apparently nobody else is. I don't think we resolved the discussion - all of this stuff is up to Planetside, not us.

sjefen

I know it's up to Planetside. I just have a little hope that they have made a decision on this :P
ArtStation: https://www.artstation.com/royalt

AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X
128 GB RAM
GeForce RTX 3060 12GB

dhavalmistry

Quote from: Dark Fire on October 29, 2007, 07:34:08 PM
I'm still happy to discuss this issue, but apparently nobody else is. I don't think we resolved the discussion - all of this stuff is up to Planetside, not us.

then there is nothing to resolve....
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Dark Fire

There is - we can resolve what we, the forum users, want.

rcallicotte

Expressing what we want is one thing and I'm certain Planetside is listening. 
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

Quote from: Dark Fire on October 30, 2007, 03:55:37 PM
There is - we can resolve what we, the forum users, want.

but in the end it all depends on Planetside

a good example would be Transformers movie not being released on blu-ray....although the director wants it to be released on blu-ray but the company (Paramount) decided to support HD-DVD due to its cheaper production cost....and all the blu-ray fans are furious....even the director was pissed at Paramount.....

sorry for going off topic...:)
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Oshyan

For now I think we'll be going with download-only. We may work on doing a boxed version in 2008 if there is demand for it, but frankly it's a large expense and overhead to setup everything for it and if there is little interest it's not worthwhile. In the end the product itself is the same. ;D

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

While it is true that for a small company like Planetside there is cost (As there is for any software vendor) I think there must be companies out there that could help and bring it in at a good price even if the packaging design was done either in house at Planetside or opened up to the community (With specifications for whats needed duly provided) and then sent off to be manufactured.

Also there is the sense of security that having Physical Media provides from a crash recovery stand point, that is to say that should some thing ever happen to the system where TG2 is installed and you either have to use the restore disk or in the most extrema case reformat the drive and have to start again by reinstalling the O/S and then the software (Stress inducing process for many people) it is often easier to reload the software form physical media rather than have to download it again.

There are people who of course find that the inverse is true and find that downloading is easier for them, its about providing people with options; there is a down side with physical media form the IT managers stand point and that is upgrades and maintenance I have throat about a model that Planetside could use.

Proposed Model:

In this model Planetside would offer both options for online download (As now) and physical boxed media (That can by sold through retail stores to maximize revenue inflow) with options to  buy multiple seats (Studios, Production Companies, FX-Houses, Educational Establishments, Non-Profit Organizations etc) have a reseller program so that TG2 can be sold via other online outlets such as Amazon.

Once people have brought their version (All major Versions TG2, TG3 etc) on physical media and have activated their software all minor releases 2.1 etc will be available free via the Internet using the built in update feature then when the next major milestone release is available people would buy that as they would any other software of course people with legacy Terragen Pipelines should be helped to transition over any custom plug-ins etc they may have so they are not stranded  in the upgrade path.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel                         

jo

Hi,

If you need the added security of a physical copy, which isn't a bad idea, then it's pretty straightforward to burn something to a CD these days. That's what I do with downloaded software I've purchased.

Regards,

Jo