bobbystahr

Just felt inspired to delve back into this stuff. C&C moist welcome
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Ethrieltd

The glass looks really "flat" what would the result of putting two of the window glass objects a SMALL distance apart and with slightly different transparencies, would that bend the light in the correct way to look more like a pane of glass with a true depth? Or can it be done easier than that?

I do like the "rays" although I think the projected shadow looks too clear. Overall tonal balance is good.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Ethrieltd on May 31, 2017, 11:00:28 AM
The glass looks really "flat" what would the result of putting two of the window glass objects a SMALL distance apart and with slightly different transparencies, would that bend the light in the correct way to look more like a pane of glass with a true depth? Or can it be done easier than that?

I do like the "rays" although I think the projected shadow looks too clear. Overall tonal balance is good.

I'm doing a test of a 2 part glass right now. The main one, the glass, is an extruded plane identical in size  and it uses the 2D plane as well.
The glass on has shadows and double sided disabled as it's now a solid object with no holes and shadows don't have true transparency as yet.
For the 2D plane I selected forced displacement and displace 0.1 and used an alpha of the black/came in the image map to cut it out and made it dark grey with light grey specularity. will post when the test is done, rendering 2 TG's on my workstation, LOL

and here tis

something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Hear hear. Let's have it again, Bobby; so 2 identical planes (imported?), one single sided, without shadows and colored glass image map, one doublesided with opacity map, displacement and shadows?

Hannes

DocCharly65

Ethrieltd

Quote from: bobbystahr
I'm doing a test of a 2 part glass right now. The main one, the glass, is an extruded plane identical in size  and it uses the 2D plane as well.
The glass on has shadows and double sided disabled as it's now a solid object with no holes and shadows don't have true transparency as yet.
For the 2D plane I selected forced displacement and displace 0.1 and used an alpha of the black/came in the image map to cut it out and made it dark grey with light grey specularity. will post when the test is done, rendering 2 TG's on my workstation, LOL

and here tis

Yep, now that's more like it. It's looking like real glass now, with actual real glass like physical properties.

For a gold star (or three, possibly up to ten) can you make it look like the panes are slightly thicker at the bottom like real historic stained glass?  ;) Areas where the surface of the glass isn't perfectly flat, like the Crown glass traditionally used in windows?  ;) ;)

bobbystahr

Quote from: Ethrieltd on June 01, 2017, 07:48:01 AM
Quote from: bobbystahr

Yep, now that's more like it. It's looking like real glass now, with actual real glass like physical properties.

For a gold star (or three, possibly up to ten) can you make it look like the panes are slightly thicker at the bottom like real historic stained glass?  ;) Areas where the surface of the glass isn't perfectly flat, like the Crown glass traditionally used in windows?  ;) ;)

Thanks but I'll settle for the silver star, no can do in Imagine3D.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Urged on by Ethrieltd's encouragement I went whole hog and made 3 new windows, all 2 part with shadow casting came that you'd notice in the correct lighting for that, but not with trees in the way
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on June 01, 2017, 03:48:21 AM
Looks fantastic, Bobby!

Thanks mate....check the update; I think it's better.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on June 01, 2017, 02:06:17 AM
Hear hear. Let's have it again, Bobby; so 2 identical planes (imported?), one single sided, without shadows and colored glass image map, one doublesided with opacity map, displacement and shadows?

the colour/glass portion is a solid 3D very thin plane textured with a Glass and a Merge sset to add and the came plane is a 2D plane with Displacement Forced to give solidity to the came and coloured black with medium grey specularity, and the bottom glass are clear glass.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Dune

Thanks Bobby. So it's a very thin box, not a plane? A plane is ultrathin by itself.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on June 02, 2017, 07:34:06 AM
Thanks Bobby. So it's a very thin box, not a plane? A plane is ultrathin by itself.

Indeed but I wanted actual depth to the coloured glass hence the very thin box technique. If we actually had proper caustics having the box would make a larger difference.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

DocCharly65