Volcano

Started by yossam, June 08, 2017, 06:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yossam

This is a WIP...........it will probably remain so. Render time was almost 5 hours with a detail setting of .25 and AA setting of 2. Any suggestions..................?  :o

Dune

I thought you had a pretty fast machine. Render like this on an i7 should maybe take half an hour, even less with your settings. Compared to my latest Park renders; they took 30-40mins. with detail 8 and AA8 and soft shadows (5 samples though).
v3 clouds for smoke perhaps? Compute terrain? Some hidden RT reflection?

DannyG

Quote from: Dune on June 09, 2017, 02:30:22 AM
I thought you had a pretty fast machine. Render like this on an i7 should maybe take half an hour, even less with your settings. Compared to my latest Park renders; they took 30-40mins. with detail 8 and AA8 and soft shadows (5 samples though).
v3 clouds for smoke perhaps? Compute terrain? Some hidden RT reflection?

That render time is long, check your atmo samples.
*As far as the lava add some luminosity to the reds, make them glow.One other thing I would add some negative displacements on the flow map. That will make the lava carve through the rock
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

yossam

Version 3 clouds that have a small amount of intersection.  ???

Dune

I'd change that to v2 clouds to begin with, no need for the more sophisticated v3 here. Might save quite some time. What's the render time without clouds? Maybe anything in there too, that you can loose. Like compute terrain!

yossam

Render time without clouds with the same settings...............1:29. That is one minute and 29 seconds.  ;D  Guess I will try V2 clouds.  :P

yossam

Version 2 clouds................3 minutes and 15 seconds at the same settings.  :)

Agura Nata

"Live and Learn!"

Oshyan

How many v3 cloud layers did you have? The render times add up a lot with multiple layers. We're working on optimizations for this however.

- Oshyan

yossam

3 layers Oshyan.  :)

Oshyan

Yeah, not surprising that render times were high. As others have noted, v2 clouds are still quite useful. In your particular scene I don't think the new v3 cloud shading really added much benefit, so using v2 makes sense. We also don't recommend using v3 clouds for thin mist/fog, as another example. The new "multiple scattering" rendering capabilities in v3 clouds are not not that important to the look of certain types of clouds and fog.

- Oshyan

Dune

Glad that worked, Richard. You can do more renders in the same time now  ;)

yossam

Last render................8 AA and .65 detail.  :)

Dune

Nice. I only see the sun through the volcano. Perhaps it's nice to put the sun just on the edge of the volcano, skimming it, so you can have some starburst and flare from the flanks of that mountain and still have the clouds translucency (now that it renders so fast).

DocCharly65

Cool developement -- and congrats for the shorter rendertime.
Ulco's idea with the sun is interesting :)