Jupiter

Started by Dune, June 11, 2017, 09:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dune

Test to get a decent Jupiter.

mhaze

Very nice indeed great textures and some subtle touches like the mist are superb.

DannyG

New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

DocCharly65

Really epic!

But...
I am a little bit ashamed to criticize, but could you get the displacement of the Jupiter clouds smaller? It looks impressive but feels too much.

René

Impressive! Did you use an image map for the atmosphere? If so, you might want to add some small fractal displacement; there seems to be a difference in resolution between the rocks and the atmosphere. But maybe this is just what you were after. ;)

Ethrieltd

Quote from: DocCharly65 on June 12, 2017, 06:27:47 AM
Really epic!

But...
I am a little bit ashamed to criticize, but could you get the displacement of the Jupiter clouds smaller? It looks impressive but feels too much.

Yeah, what he said. I thought exactly the same. It's a bit much. Gotta remember that Jupiter would probably be several hundred thousand miles away from the camera in this pic.

Dune

No problem, crits are welcome of course. And yes; image map, so I'm bound by its 4K resolution. Sure I can dial the displacement down and add some fractal. Fractal color adjust perhaps, I'll have a go. Renders fast so, it's no worry at all.

bobbystahr

**anticipating the update** like where it's headed
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

masonspappy

Nice Job. Agree the displacement could be downsized a tad.

Agura Nata

Well done, looks fascinating :)
"Live and Learn!"

mhaze

I suspect that, if you were that close, the displacement would be about right!

Dune

Never been there, myself. The only problem I had was the slight jpg compression artifacts. A little less bumpmap and more procedural displacement would overcome that maybe. i'll have a go anyway.

Ethrieltd

Quote from: mhaze on June 13, 2017, 04:02:31 AM
I suspect that, if you were that close, the displacement would be about right!

I'm sure that out near Jupiter is WAY beyond the limit for the inverse square law to make a real difference so shadows (and thus displacement) won't behave as we normally see them. The falloff at that distance would flatten shadows by virtue of the light intensity being reduced by the factor of the inverse square law beyond anything that we see on Earth.

https://www.nasa.gov/audience/foreducators/9-12/features/F_How_Far_How_Faint.html

Not that it doesn't look good, I'm just not sure it's scientifically accurate, which I think I may have mentioned before, is something I have issues with....

fleetwood

René

Perhaps you can use the warp shader to deform jpeg artifacts and add some more detail at the same time away.