Gravel Road

Started by CredePendrel, July 20, 2019, 02:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CredePendrel

Quote from: N-drju on September 09, 2019, 07:39:29 AMHehe, not annoying one bit. ;)

I think you have these roads well under control now. Ulco's suggestion of avoiding hills is also worth looking into. I need to grab this .tgd when I get back home.
Thanks N-drju!! The original road setup was done by WAS. I grabbed it from the file sharing forum a while back. In this post he helped me modify it a bit more (page 1) then Dune helped with avoiding hills. Just want to make sure WAS gets his credit! Its an amazing setup.

CredePendrel

As per Dune's suggestion I filled in the edge of the path a bit more...Also added some "character" to the scene with a grey wolf from free3d.com

larger renders here....https://www.artstation.com/artwork/dOBnRX

Dune

The left render is nice because of the shadow of the wolf, but I would still move it quite some way back, because it takes away some of the realism. If you'd choose for the right render, I would also move the wolf a bit to the right, between path and shrub, a little more subtle in the whole landscape.
And I would still put more grasses or low leafy shrublike veggies and clumps of earth just off the path.
Light is great, btw.

CredePendrel

Quote from: Dune on September 10, 2019, 02:13:13 AMThe left render is nice because of the shadow of the wolf, but I would still move it quite some way back, because it takes away some of the realism. If you'd choose for the right render, I would also move the wolf a bit to the right, between path and shrub, a little more subtle in the whole landscape.
And I would still put more grasses or low leafy shrublike veggies and clumps of earth just off the path.
Light is great, btw.
Morning! (Uhh....6 am came early) Dune. I think I can easily make those changes today at work. Stay tuned. Another question? Do you do any post work in Photoshop with your pieces? I only ever adjust the brightness and contrast but was wondering if you use a certain setup or filters?

Dune

Yes, brightness, contrast and sometimes autotone (PS6), faded by 50% or so.

CredePendrel

Wanted to render a much larger version to get some finer details. This one is done at 4048 x 2024 and took 5 hours and 50 minutes on my laptop.

Dune

Terrific! And also pretty fast for the size. Good job.

CredePendrel

Quote from: Dune on September 12, 2019, 01:55:06 AMTerrific! And also pretty fast for the size. Good job.
Thank you Dune! Your advice and positive comments are much appreciated. I am going to officially call this one done!

Finishing this piece feels really good after all the other troubles I have had trying to wrap my head around Terragen. My next project feels ridiculously complex but I am going to try and break it down into really small parts and go slow. Its not in the Terragen stage yet, still working on some of the models. Maybe I will steal N-drju's idea and start a "My Worlds and Ideas" thread of my own!

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on September 12, 2019, 01:55:06 AMTerrific! And also pretty fast for the size. Good job.
echo Dune's comment
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist