Martin's landscapes

Started by Martin, July 31, 2017, 01:33:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

This is the early version , with only the carved stone heads.

Martin

August 02, 2017, 07:37:02 am #31 Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 08:32:52 am by Martin
This is what I'm working on right now. Alien life.

luvsmuzik

This too is all great stuff! Wondering if your alien life forms are image textured or internal TG? Wonderful "crusty-dusty" however done! I would certainly use these underwater as well!

Martin

Quote from: luvsmuzik on August 02, 2017, 11:57:03 am
This too is all great stuff! Wondering if your alien life forms are image textured or internal TG? Wonderful "crusty-dusty" however done! I would certainly use these underwater as well!


They are all procedural TG textures.I absolutely love creating new textures in terragen. I've been using substance designer(An AAA procedural map maker) So It's pretty easy for me to just make new textures with noises. I've been painting textures for 3d models for several years, and this is like that , but after you finish a new texture you have an infinite sized one, with infinite variation. I love that. Also because  the noise is in a 3d space no need for uvw mapping at all.

I've made some renders of the separate objects.
Also the textures  on spheres and boxes, and some node networks.

Martin

Here's three textures on a box. One for mountain cliffs, one for old mossy stones, one for old stone walls.

Martin

These are the imported models with the procedural textures.

Martin

And the night verison:)

luvsmuzik

Well yes! Absolutely great! The node network is more frightening than the lifeforms, but I am in awe. ;D

Martin

Quote from: luvsmuzik on August 03, 2017, 09:13:25 am
Well yes! Absolutely great! The node network is more frightening than the lifeforms, but I am in awe. ;D


Lol yeah, it's not complicated when you put it together step by step but I agree, when looking on it from the distance it looks like a frightening mess XD

Martin

Changed the skycolour to make it more "natural". Also tweaked the mountains and clouds, and textures.

bobbystahr

August 03, 2017, 05:52:53 pm #40 Last Edit: August 03, 2017, 05:59:12 pm by bobbystahr
Quote from: Martin on August 03, 2017, 03:39:14 am
These are the imported models with the procedural textures.


max made models? very good no matter
agree w luvsmuzik re: the network but get how it happens. My problem is I get lost and often delete all and start again. You and Hannes are the current procedural texture masters, this stuff is as wild as some of his offers. Not having max I think I have to hunt down my onxy tree pro disc as I recall making some amazing alien stuff in that...wish me luck, it's in a box of 1000 or so hopelessly unorganized cd's
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Martin

Quote from: bobbystahr on August 03, 2017, 05:52:53 pm
Quote from: Martin on August 03, 2017, 03:39:14 am
These are the imported models with the procedural textures.


max made models? very good no matter
agree w luvsmuzik re: the network but get how it happens. My problem is I get lost and often delete all and start again. You and Hannes are the current procedural texture masters, this stuff is as wild as some of his offers. Not having max I think I have to hunt down my onxy tree pro disc as I recall making some amazing alien stuff in that...wish me luck, it's in a box of 1000 or so hopelessly unorganized cd's


Oh I've been using max since art school. A good 15 years. For trees though I just found some free speed tree (I think) samples and they are awesome.

For the node network- I try to keep it a bit organised. I renaming the nodes- Big patches- small patches- leaks- dots- lichen- moss- cracks- small cracks- etc. I usually spend hours with one texture and then save the node network for later use, and rarely go back for tweaking. So I have textures for a dirt ground, sand, sandstone, granite, basalt, mossy rocks, martian rocks, grass, etc. I just use a colour adjust shader and a transform input shader to make little changes for new scenes.

Martin

More of the older green hills series.

Martin

Hah, I had several shaders for rock cliffs, and chinese style limestone rock formations ,but they didn't work well with more "normal" mountains, like the alpine shader.
So I had an idea, just to add some simple Fractal ridge shader with two different sized input warp shader, with a lot of roughness, and use that as displacement on a simple alpine shader(with the minimum size is as big as 500 meters to give it a good simple base form) and I used one of my old rock textures on  it and it looks pretty good! Perfect background mountains for Lord of the rings style  wastelands.

Martin

The latest alien life renders:)