Martin's landscapes

Started by Martin, July 31, 2017, 01:33:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martin

That's it! The fixed distribution shader.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Martin on August 22, 2017, 07:27:48 AM

Wow, that's right up there with René's stuff for massive and beautiful...well done.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Martin

Quote from: bobbystahr on August 22, 2017, 11:34:53 AM

Wow, that's right up there with René's stuff for massive and beautiful...well done.

Thanks! : ) It's sort of finished. So I moved to the next "project".
Tried to create a sink hole, but the secondary and third displacement is behaving oddly. I have a big simple shape shader to create the sinkhole- compute normals, then another displacement to create the levels in the sinkhole, and then computen ormal and the rock detail displacement. But it looks really spiky..not what I used to. Tried to play with the computen ormals but I just can't get a smoother result.

Kadri

Martin if you can wait a little i will share a sinkhole tonight.

Martin

Quote from: Kadri on August 22, 2017, 01:17:13 PM

Martin if you can wait a little i will share a sinkhole tonight.

Oh thank you Kadri! I wonder what I did wrong this time:S

The random surface texture I made quickly for the sink hole scene looked interesting so I played with it a bit.

bobbystahr

Quote from: Martin on August 22, 2017, 12:41:56 PM

Tried to create a sink hole, but the secondary and third displacement is behaving oddly. I have a big simple shape shader to create the sinkhole- compute normals, then another displacement to create the levels in the sinkhole, and then computen ormal and the rock detail displacement. But it looks really spiky..not what I used to. Tried to play with the computen ormals but I just can't get a smoother result.

Have you tried the Vortex warper? or are you using it already?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Martin

Quote from: bobbystahr on August 22, 2017, 02:18:17 PM
Quote from: Martin on August 22, 2017, 12:41:56 PM

Have you tried the Vortex warper? or are you using it already?

Vortex warper?:O I don't even know what that is! Let me check this

Martin

Oh right, the vortex warper. Didn't use it in a long time. Can give the scene an interesting effect.Though it won't be useful creating the sinkhole : S

bobbystahr

with the Vortex and a SS shader I made a very convincing whirlpool swallowing a boat once but I guess that's apples and oranges eh.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Martin

Quote from: bobbystahr on August 22, 2017, 03:17:00 PM
with the Vortex and a SS shader I made a very convincing whirlpool swallowing a boat once but I guess that's apples and oranges eh.

I'm trying to recreate this: https://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/starwars/images/f/f6/Tenth_Level.png/revision/latest?cb=20130215052019

bobbystahr

gotcha, SSshader and some masked strata I guess?
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

Martin

Quote from: bobbystahr on August 22, 2017, 03:36:05 PM
gotcha, SSshader and some masked strata I guess?

What do you mean by ss shader? It usually means Subsurface scattering...?
This is the simple node network I used

Martin

Quote from: Kadri on August 22, 2017, 04:12:48 PM

Here is the sinkhole Martin.
http://www.planetside.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,4484.msg237980.html#msg237980

Thank you Kadri!
Phew, took me almost 10 minutes to find out how is it doing a negative displacement without any negative displacement values...Ugh, the displacement amplitude is so big it just happens to be a big masked valley ! The strata shader with warp gives a nice effect, haven't been using the strata shader for quite some time now.
Anyway, it seems that spiky error was my fault, as this overhanging negative displacement works like a charm. I have to try and find out what did I wrong.

Martin

A doodle how I tried to achieve the sinkhole levels effect.