Intersect underlying test

Started by bigben, September 18, 2007, 01:05:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigben

The images in this relate to a number of other posts... The test TGD is my new alps terrain set

Just exploring the new options in intersect underlying.  It's going to take some playing to see what the different settings do. (An official explanation would be nice ;))

The snow layer in the image below is just a white surface layer with 3m vertical displacement, min altitude and max slope restrictions, with intersect underlying set to favour depressions. (other intersect underlying settings at default). Rendering another version with favour ridges selected.

[edit] 2 more images added, final image (no intersection) still rendering[/edit]

dhavalmistry

very nice.....love your terrain....it would be nice if you could write a tutorial or explain what each settings does......thanx.......
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

bigben

I have to figure it out myself first  ;)  Images of the 3 different settings for depressions/rises/displacement intersection will be a start. My mind's already ticking over as to how they could be used in combination with other restrictions to produce some more realistic looking images without requiring image maps for masking.  e.g. face mask to restrict snow to shaded side of a ridge combined with favour rises to produce better distribution along ridge lines.... or combining with low res image maps to create a glacier (OK that's maybe aiming a bit high, but it looks feasible)

Here's a progress of the favour rises render comparison.
[attachimg=#1]

rcallicotte

I've experimented some, too.  And still don't understand it.  I get what it's doing in the different implementations of Intersect Underlying, but I'd like to understand it...how it works. 

Maybe someone in Planetside could give us some "How To"?  <apply hint here>
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

I thought I would give this a try too.....I specially wanted to play with displacement intersection.....

I used Volker's technique to displace the terrain and applied a surface layer with displacement and intersect underlaying layer

hope you dont mind me sharing results here bigben!  ;)

rcallicotte

Harvey Birdman

Nice pics, you two.

I read this thread hoping to pick up some info on just how this worked, though... I'm just as clueless now as I was when I started.

??? ::) ;D

bigben

Added the comparison images, still rendering the last one.  There are some glitches in the displacement intersection which you can see clearly in this partial render
[attachimg=#1]

I wasn't prompted to turn smoothing on until I selected displacement intersection so I may have to repeat the first two to see if there's a significant difference. In all of the images the bottom parts of the image seem to have some jitter in them... not sure if this is an optical illusion or not...

I don't mind others sharing their tests here although it would be nice to see comparison images without any intersection so that we can see what it's actually doing  ;)   I'll keep my main set of results in the first post.

ProjectX

They're just the cables for the chair lifts... these tests are looking great, although I must admit I have no idea what 'intersect underlying' does, or even what it means.

rcallicotte

An amateur's definition of intersect underlying - the terrain below mixes with the terrain above.  Beyond this, I get less scientific.   ::)

Quote from: ProjectX on September 19, 2007, 05:33:28 AM
They're just the cables for the chair lifts... these tests are looking great, although I must admit I have no idea what 'intersect underlying' does, or even what it means.

dhavalmistry

Here is my another attempt at Intersect Underlaying

dont know if you can see it but I will try to render bigger next time...