EXR Image format

Started by cyphyr, September 18, 2007, 06:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cyphyr

Given that we can save our renders in EXR format which is I believe a form of High Dynamic Range Image (HDRI) that stores extra luminance information above and beyond standard images has any one and experience of extracting this extra data and re-applying it to a render. It should be possible to create an image that has a far greater visible range of colours and hues so shadow areas become more defined etc. I have tried in my Photoshop (CS2) but the only controls seem to not give me enough extra information; the shadow areas are still undefined. ANy suggestions great appreciated.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Kranky

You can use the software Photomatix to open the EXR. There you can create a tonemapped image.
http://www.hdrsoft.com/examples.html

Here you can download the free trial of Photomatix Pro: http://www.hdrsoft.com/download.html#pmp

Volker Harun

You might need different approaches to a render when working with EXR. At least this is my opinion.

For example, I use the EXR when having a low contrasting image. It helps to define the shadows and highlights better.

On the other hand you might want to 'flatten' an image that has high contrast. In my opinion Terragen already gives quite a good result doing this with the BMP-Output.

A workaround that you can find often in nature, too, is to a cirrus-cloud layer. Depth of 20 and coverage of 2 should darken the hole scene.
When increasing the exposure of the camera, you'll notice that the shadows are getting brighter.
Using this as EXR, you can add the missing contrast ,-)

Volker

rcallicotte

Hey, this looks pretty good.  Thanks.

Quote from: Kranky on September 18, 2007, 06:08:14 AM
You can use the software Photomatix to open the EXR. There you can create a tonemapped image.
http://www.hdrsoft.com/examples.html

Here you can download the free trial of Photomatix Pro: http://www.hdrsoft.com/download.html#pmp
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

Njen

OpenEXR is an open source image file format developed by ILM (VFX company owned my George Lucas responsible for the Star Wars films, the Pirates films, etc).

OpenEXR writes colour information as float values, which allow for finer precision when performing post work. Float is superior to Integer because of the amount of control you maintain over the image. For example, bmp has 256 levels (0, black - 255, white) in Red, Green and Blue colour space. Float while generally storing colour information between 0 (black) and 1 (white) can infact have negative values and values over 1. So a part of your image that may appear white, does have extra information in it.

Another way of looking at float values can be seen as follows. Say you have taken a photo of a white piece of paper in the sun, and the sun itself both in frame. When converting that image to a digital format for viewing on a monitor, the piece of paper and the sun, both will appear pure white, but we all know that the sun is brighter. A file format that uses integer will clamp the bright value of the paper and the sun to 255, but a file format that uses float may display the area of the image that has the paper at 1.0 (example), and the area of the sun as 1.8 (example). When brought into an image editing program capable of handling float values, decreasing the Gain or Gamma in the integer file format will just make the white turn grey for both the paper and the sun equally, while the float format will always keep the sun proportionally brighter than the piece of paper.  Decreasing the gain by half would (in the example values given) make the piece of paper 0.5 and the sun 0.9.

Float precision can be either 32 bit (full float) or 16 bit (half float). OpenEXR also supports numerous extra channels like Alpha, Z-depth, Object ID, U, V, Normals, Velocity and more. It also supports a number of Compression formats including Piz (wavelet) which is growing in popularity.

If you are doing very little to no post work to your image, then saving it as a bmp file is sufficient. But if you are doing heavy post work, then it is wise to save it as an OpenEXR image, and use a compatible piece of software to process it.

When you render an image, TG2 (I assume) stores all pixel values as float internally, and when converted to a bmp file, will quantize the float value to the nearest integer. So a float value of 0.5 will become 128, 0.5039 will become 129 while any value float  in between will either be rounded up or down to 128 or 129.

rcallicotte

@njen - When you mention editing with a compatible piece of software, would you think CS2 would do the trick just fine?

cyphyr

Thanks for the link and info guys, its already looking interesting ...
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Njen

Photoshop CS2 Has limited capabilities when editing an OpenEXR image. You can adjust exposures, and add photo filters, but generally you would have to convert down to 8 bit to use all of Photoshop's facilities. Cinepaint is a free tool that can freely edit OpenEXR images. Other commerical high powered compositing software like Fusion, Shake and Nuke can easily and freely manipulate OpenEXR images.

bigben

Photoshop CS2 does provide some extra control over EXR images when converting them to 16 or 8 bit. Select Local Adaptation as the method and you can edit the tone curve. I use this for most of my conversions.  After that, I might apply a shadow/highlight adjustment and if I'm still not happy then I blame my lighting and go back to TG.

I find this also gives much nicer colours in the final output.

rcallicotte

Thanks BigBen.  This is very helpful and I'll try it.

And thanks njen.  CS2 will be my method until I can figure out Cinepaint and then I'll use Cinepaint if it can do what I need it to do.  I've heard good things about it, but it looks a little complicated at first glance.