What size is the world??

Started by speedychef, September 24, 2017, 02:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

speedychef

I'm importing grey scale images to be used as a height map, but the terrain generated sometimes looks like a small patch. Is there a way to identify the size of the world and make a grey scale image that fits those dimensions?

Dune

It's all in meters, so you can set the size you want. There's also a measuring tool, and a loose simple shape of certain dimensions can help give a clue about terrain size too.

bobbystahr

Quote from: speedychef on September 24, 2017, 02:29:12 PM
I'm importing grey scale images to be used as a height map, but the terrain generated sometimes looks like a small patch. Is there a way to identify the size of the world and make a grey scale image that fits those dimensions?

I've found that a greyscale of 2048 square comes in as a terrain of 2,048 meters square  if that's any help. Then to get the camera close Right click in the 3D preview and select Center on heightfield shader..then zoom in.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Oshyan

The default planet is the size of Earth. Imported heightmaps from image formats that do not have embedded scaling information (e.g. bmp, jpg, png) are scaled with 1 pixel = 1 meter. You can adjust this with Heightfield Adjust nodes, assuming you are loading your images through heightfield load nodes and not as Image Maps for displacement. If they are Image Maps you can just scale them in the Image Map shader.

- Oshyan