fake foam pt. II

Started by child@play, April 06, 2008, 06:40:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

Thanks child@play.  I'll see what I can do with this next TGD.    8)
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

child@play

well, you should be able to just add another render camera, placed at the coast for example. if you take this new camera's output as the distance shaders camera input you should be fine
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

PG

hm, just nulled the effect of the fractal breakup on the surface layer.
Figured out how to do clicky signatures

child@play

hm, it just nulled, or you just nulled?  ???  ;D
perfection is not when there's nothing more to add, it's reached when nothing more can be left out

PG

lol. I mean that the fractal breakup was dividing up the foam quite nicely into little strings, but now it's just a large floating mist with quite a sharp edge with the rest of the water which is completely foam free.

child@play

lol, what did you do? :D

attach your tgd please, so i can have a look at it, always hard to guess what went wrong ;)

PG

I'll have to redo it then, I just reverted back to the original.
Hm, can't remember how I did it, now I just get a big sheet of milky water, can't remember the settings I used.

child@play

guess you defined the distance shader wrong, you'll definetly need to change the near colour to something deep blue, and the far colour to black, then play with the near and far distance

PG

Oh I see, yeah I didn't change the colours. I got the distances working quite well but didn't think about the colours. Here's the TGD, sorry it's a bit of a mess.

child@play

Quote from: PG on April 13, 2008, 02:01:44 PMsorry it's a bit of a mess.

no problem, you've seen my messy tgd :D

i'll have a look at it in a couple, just waiting for a render to finish

edit: pg, you might try deleting the lake, and use a surface layer with water shader as childlayer, just like in the tgd i provided.

edit2: well, this method won't work with your scene-setup as it is, you would need to restrict your fake-stones distribution, so maybe stick with the lake and just use the setup like in my second tgd, dunno if it will work with a lake object

PG

Tricky on isn't it :D I'm thinking that functions are needed here, get, add, inverse, all that malarky. Or there may be a way by using an object or a heightfield to provide a field to work in. apply the foam effect to that and then apply it to the input of the water shader, hiding the heightfield or object first but still keeping it in the heirarchy.

child@play

yep, quite tricky, but the solution is out there :D let me know when you got it to work ;)