Is It Real or Memorex?

Started by rcallicotte, September 21, 2007, 08:49:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

I would guess not everyone remembers that commercial, but I'd be interested to know whether you all think this looks like something someone has done in TG2 or a photo -

http://market.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=1525611&member

It's not fair to read the description.   ;D
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

cyphyr

Well he's made good use of the intersect under feature but I reckon a bit more work on the sky and some variance in the foreground detail. Maybe a bit over the top on the fractal detail in the mountains but thats just my personal taste.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Ironshirt

Quote from: cyphyr on September 21, 2007, 08:58:07 AM
Well he's made good use of the intersect under feature but I reckon a bit more work on the sky and some variance in the foreground detail....

hehe  ;D    - oh my god, you could have done better with the fractal-detail :D   

...and the seventh day is a day of rest because god waited for the pc to finish rendering....   

@ calico - it really looks like a render - but the description says something different... ( I guess I wasn't outside for a too long period  ::) )

Harvey Birdman

Quote from: Ironshirt on September 21, 2007, 09:26:51 AM

...and the seventh day is a day of rest because god waited for the pc to finish rendering....  

;D  ;D

Revelations like that might even make a believer out of an old agnostic like me.

dhavalmistry

it is a photo...it says there he took it with "Canon Rebel XT"
"His blood-terragen level is 99.99%...he is definitely drunk on Terragen!"

Volker Harun

Quote from: dhavalmistry on September 21, 2007, 11:29:04 AM
That is the point ... how should a Canon be able to do something like this? Okay a Nikon could, but ... ;)

dhavalmistry

Quote from: Volker Harun on September 21, 2007, 11:40:24 AM
That is the point ... how should a Canon be able to do something like this? Okay a Nikon could, but ... ;)

why whats wrong with canon cameras????

rcallicotte

;D

You weren't supposed to read that.

So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

dhavalmistry

Oshyan

I think the background mountains look very CG-ish, quite possible in TG2, but the rest is a bit too balanced and natural in color and lighting I think. TG2 is probably capable of that, but it would take a master, with lots of time to fine-tune individual object placement and texture variation, etc.

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

Shouldn't the Rendering Core be able to provide such variation after all we have been told that the core technology in TG2 was used to render the planets in Startrek: Nemesis, so production capable technology should be up to the job?

Regards to you

Cyber-Angel

Oshyan

I don't see what Star Trek Nemesis really has to do with rendering vegetation model variations. Aside from the fact that the TGD rendering engine's use in Nemesis was limited to planetary shots (where no vegetation is visible), there really was little to no planetary vegetation shown in the film that was not clearly filmed rather than CG.

TG2 and the underlying TGD rendering engine have been used in a number of professional productions, from films to TV ads to games and print publications. TG2's rendering engine is definitely "production capable". But again this says nothing in particular about the problem of varying vegetation models. It simply means the rendered output and application functionality combine to make an effective tool for some production needs. What specific needs TG2 meets, or what features it has, have little bearing on its overall "production capability".

In any case TG2 would be perfectly capable of *rendering* the variations if provided with them - e.g. multiple models and texture sets. It simply does not have a functional built-in system of creating such variations itself, automatically. It's possible that such a feature to vary textures might be included - and this could be done internally - or one that could load multiple model variations (for example with sequential file names), but it would be virtually impossible to actually vary the geometry *within* TG2 and get good results. You would need procedural plants for that, which TG2 doesn't currently support natively.

Anyway I was really just saying it would be difficult and time consuming but certainly far from impossible to get that level of realism out of TG2. I would say professional effects animators are definitely up to that task. A skilled hobbyist would be too, it's just a matter of investing the time and effort.

- Oshyan

NWsenior07

Okay I cheated I read the description. But I could tell from the get go that its two photos stiched together into one photo. The forground is to detailed for the background and visa versa. Its well done but things don't line up just right.

cyphyr

You really reckon this is a photoshop job, multiple images etc. Nah this is just a simple panoramic photo, about 180 deg from the look of it, possibly taken with a bit of zoom. Also theres nothing here that TG couldn't reproduce as it stands now. The difficulty in creating something that looks like a photo is the colour grading and imperfections that make up a distinctive photo look.
Richard
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Oshyan

Having seen the tetons area myself I doubt this is a photo composite. It's a somewhat improbable looking place, but it really does look like that. The mountains rise quite suddenly out of a flat scrub plain. It's remarkable.

- Oshyan