Wavefront Objects

Started by rcallicotte, December 30, 2006, 10:07:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcallicotte

If the developers are reading this, are you considering Wavefront objects for possible imports to TG2?  Poser has gotten good enough that all sorts of objects (ships, great characters, spaceships, spacestations, vehicles, etc.) are available.  Maybe there is a better way and I'll go with that, but I'd like to be able to use the export on Poser to work with TG2.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

David Burnett

I thought obj files, which TG2 already imports (with some issues) were Wavefront's native format?

rcallicotte

Just checking, since I know to expect some changes here on the import/export functions.  Thanks.

Oshyan

Correct, "Wavefront" format should be the same as OBJ, which TG2 does currently support. There are some known bugs in the current OBJ import and rendering routines which will be addressed in a future update.

- Oshyan

manleystanley

calico why limit yourself to Poser? Get Wings3d, and surf, the web is lousy with free objects; alot are 3ds, but easy enough to convert. I've imported about every type of object there is; not saying they all rendered with out crashing  :D , but I was impressed when TG2 imported that city, it was a rather large file  :o; no textures and crashed on rendering, but if TG2 can load it, I can fix it so it will render  ;)
"So you think you can tell, heaven from hell, blue skys from pain.
can you tell a green field, from a cold steel rail? a smile from a veil?
do you think you can tell?" P.F.

rcallicotte

manleystanley,

Which city?  Poser has some value, but I'll find out what I can try as I go.

Doofus

A little off topic, but does anyone know how to drop a single object to the terrain without having to manually position it. I know you can do it with populations, wondered if there was a similar function that I was missing somewhere.? Cheers.
Rub a little funk on it baby :D

rcallicotte

Quote from: Doofus on January 01, 2007, 06:19:54 AM
A little off topic, but does anyone know how to drop a single object to the terrain without having to manually position it. I know you can do it with populations, wondered if there was a similar function that I was missing somewhere.? Cheers.

Not that I know.  I just use the camera coordinates for the newly placed object.  That said, I'm starting a new post on a whole new set of questions about OBJECTS.

Oshyan

There is no "drop to terrain" feature as yet, but it will be implemented before final release to be sure.

- Oshyan