Dune's cliff

Started by Dune, January 17, 2018, 10:17:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

luvsmuzik

As if all his ideas were not already brilliant....a real pleasure to watch WIPs :)

bobbystahr

Quote from: luvsmuzik on March 25, 2018, 12:02:21 PM
As if all his ideas were not already brilliant....a real pleasure to watch WIPs :)

As if indeed.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

mhaze

Dune

Here's my problem, in red the fault (vdisp the textures by a simple shape) which turns out ugly and repetitive, and in blue the 'too much repetition and angularity' problem. The strata are in fact just very hard XZ stretched PF mixes, displaced and colored at the same time.

Hannes

To me the areas you outlined aren't too bad. I think such things could occur in nature (I think everyone of us knows this phenomenon: you see something in nature and you think to yourself, if anyone would have rendered that, it would be a crappy render :))
However, what I find more disturbing is the area left of the red circle on the lower part of the cliff. The texture is even more distorted there. I don't know how you created your cliff in detail, and maybe this is just nonsense, but wouldn't a transform shader set to world space right before the "distortion" happens help?

René

Hannes is right. Feeding the shader through a transform shader using world space often does the trick.

WAS

Quote from: René on March 26, 2018, 05:33:43 AM
Hannes is right. Feeding the shader through a transform shader using world space often does the trick.
Quote from: Hannes on March 26, 2018, 04:13:36 AM
but wouldn't a transform shader set to world space right before the "distortion" happens help?

What exactly is happening when you simply drop in a transform shader set to world space? Is the terrain after a "Compute Terrain" not in world space?

Dune

I do use that in a lot of cases, except where it disturbs further displacements, because IMO, using it means further warps are not working properly.
But the area you refer to is a cave! It should be distorted inwards. Only thing is that these caves are often hard t darken, except with lowering of GI, and I need to to be higher than usual again. Dilemma  ;)

Jo Kariboo

I really like this series and prefer this last version in color!
The particular displacements that you show in the circles of colors are unusual but it surely exists also in nature.
I also like your (angular rock) series.  :)

DannyG

I really think the cliff face looked the best on page 8 "Cliffs of Moher 26-02-18-v4-test2B" to be honest. All of them have amazing qualities for sure, however personally that version to looks the most real.

Only 2 weeks to go ! 
New World Digital Art
NwdaGroup.com
Media: facebook|Twitter|Instagram

bobbystahr

Quote from: Dune on March 26, 2018, 06:23:32 AM
I do use that in a lot of cases, except where it disturbs further displacements, because IMO, using it means further warps are not working properly.
But the area you refer to is a cave! It should be distorted inwards. Only thing is that these caves are often hard t darken, except with lowering of GI, and I need to to be higher than usual again. Dilemma  ;)

maybe put a negative light in the cave, used to work in imagine
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

Dune

Thanks guys. I see your point, Danny. That's my problem, I always want to test something new, and still have 2 ideas to work out. Maybe I will be too late entering  :P
Negative light, good of you to remind me, Bobby, I'll try that.

Dune

Negative light is not really working (cave turns nasty black), though I didn't pursue it very far. I unchecked the cave for now. And tried another setup with warped strata in two layers. But I find it a bit contrived. Also some other seeds for cliff softness and warp. Still work to do...

Jo Kariboo

The mood and water are excellent but I prefer precedent deplacement for the cliff!