Terrain disappeared

Started by ProjectX, September 24, 2007, 03:27:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ProjectX

Hi, I was using the Alps (matterhorn) terrain from BigBen today, and I set it up with some nice surfacing and water, with some misty clouds on the water's surface. I hit the render button and suddenly the terrain disappears and I'm just left with clouds on a lake. The terrain also disappears from the preview render. I can't see anything wrong, render surfaces is still checked and all that. I tried reloading the terrain and, nothing.

i would upload the terrain, but it's too big and you can get it from bigben's forum thread.

EDIT: nevermind, it's back...   :-\

bigben

I occasionally disconnect terrain nodes by accident which can get confusing  ;) ... that or screwing up a mask.... or accidentally disconnecting a surface... ;) The first thing I do now when a terrain disappears is follow the network through the terrain section.

Hmmm, a cloud layer on a lake surface... that's gonna take a while to render.
http://forums.planetside.co.uk/index.php?topic=1380.0

ProjectX

No the odd thing is, I hadn't unplugged the terrain. I tried reloading TG2, nothing. A couple of minutes later it appeared again, without me doing anything.

Cyber-Angel

ProjectX was your system doing some kind of background process? This can some times make things act strangely I have never personally encountered the missing terrain phenomena you speak of but on occasion I have had my mouse pointer disappear on me, I have had to do a hard restart of my system to get it back which makes me think that it is a memory allocation problem of some sort you might have the same problem with terrain in TG2.

It could be that your CPU is currently busy with another task and so your terrain was considered a lower priority at that time and disappointed to free up memory space for that other task, once that task had finished you terrain came back, just a theory any way.

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel       

bigben

I had the same thing happen to me this morning on the train. I also could find no reason why it wasn't displaying but unchecking and re-checking the read from file box seems to be the easiest way to fix it. (I was using the GUI version this morning)