A good work practice I've found with Clouds.....

Started by bobbystahr, January 25, 2018, 05:51:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobbystahr

...is to put a Transform input shader between the Density fractal and the Cloud shader with World as it's default and Rotate selected but un adjusted. Then when I have a nice cloud set up but too much shadow rather than tossing the dice on a re-seed I just Rotate say  90 degrees around the Y, and often it's a problem solved. And there are many interesting things that happen rotating around any axis really but around the Y is most utilitarian
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New
Bobby Stahr, Paracosmologist

N-drju

I concur. Transform shader is very useful. :) Especially rotating things that would not budge otherwise.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

cyphyr

It's a useful technique. I find it useful if I see a shadow/sun spot over in the distance and I want to move it to the focus of my picture. You can measure how far away the spot is in the preview window with the measure tool and move the clouds that much. A few tweaks later and you have the shadows where you want them :)
www.richardfraservfx.com
https://www.facebook.com/RichardFraserVFX/
/|\

Ryzen 9 5950X OC@4Ghz, 64Gb (TG4 benchmark 4:13)

Hannes

bobbystahr

Quote from: cyphyr on January 26, 2018, 05:26:22 AM
It's a useful technique. I find it useful if I see a shadow/sun spot over in the distance and I want to move it to the focus of my picture. You can measure how far away the spot is in the preview window with the measure tool and move the clouds that much. A few tweaks later and you have the shadows where you want them :)

I have you and Dune to thank for highlighting the usefulness of that one shaderI use it almost always now a days...solves so many problems.
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

bobbystahr

Quote from: Hannes on January 26, 2018, 07:53:28 AM
Sounds interesting. Thanks Bobby!

welcome...was too stoned to create one day so I invented....
something borrowed,
something Blue.
Ring out the Old.
Bring in the New

agent unawares

I agree, I use this all the time. This way I can have the sun directly north, and create long cirrus clouds running directly north (or east) which is the easiest way to set up, and then just rotate them to avoid the ridiculousness of having them all run straight along or straight across the sun's path.

eapilot

ajcgi

This is also a method for positioning things like tyre tracks. Set them up at the origin and then transform them to the correct location once you've got a look you like. Ideally set them up in their own scene too. ;) Keeps things clean and speedy.