Lateral displacement - I beg you...

Started by N-drju, January 26, 2018, 04:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

N-drju

Quote from: Dune on October 03, 2018, 03:05:10 AM
Pull a line from the last node for the pop to sit on, and in case it doesn't work quite correctly, just add another compute terrain there, it will not slow stuff, as it's just between last node and pop.

Thanks for that tip. Might be molto useful when it comes down to things.
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

N-drju

Plugging the last terrain item into the "terrain shader" input is enough to have the populator reacting to both the computed terrain group and the displaceable section. The only disadvantage is that some of the objects are being populated underneath overhang terrain features and stuck in impossible places. But it should be easy enough to paint them out or even delete the mismatched instances manually.

[attach=1]
"This year - a factory of semiconductors. Next year - a factory of whole conductors!"

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on October 03, 2018, 01:20:08 PM
Plugging the last terrain item into the "terrain shader" input is enough to have the populator reacting to both the computed terrain group and the displaceable section. The only disadvantage is that some of the objects are being populated underneath overhang terrain features and stuck in impossible places. But it should be easy enough to paint them out or even delete the mismatched instances manually.

[attach=1]

You could also play with slope limitations.

N-drju

Not sure if this is going to work, as distribution shader also needs terrain information which is fed by "compute terrain". If I add a terrain feature coming after the "compute terrain", a "distribution shader" will not see the extra displacement, just like the populator didn't.

WAS

Quote from: N-drju on October 03, 2018, 04:01:48 PM
Not sure if this is going to work, as distribution shader also needs terrain information which is fed by "compute terrain". If I add a terrain feature coming after the "compute terrain", a "distribution shader" will not see the extra displacement, just like the populator didn't.

Texture Coordinates from XYZ will provide this without the actual computation of the terrain. I believe.