Render Question

Started by aemkey, September 25, 2007, 02:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aemkey

Hi all
I've posted some time ago a image of a bridge with clouds (can be found herehttp://home.arcor.de/aemkey/render/04.jpg).  I've just the free version of Tg2, but would like it now for my desktop to render it on 1400x1050. So here's my question: Would someone render that for me? I would be very glad.
Thx
god weather-> photography
bad weather-> terragen

Dark Fire

I'd love to...but I only have the free version too... :'(

Oshyan

I'd be glad to render it for you. It's a very nice image and my new quad core could use something to chew on. ;) PM or email me to arrange.

- Oshyan

rcallicotte

Aemkey,

Did you check your Private Messages?  But, it looks like Oshyan has already come to the rescue.  Or not?  Let me know.
So this is Disney World.  Can we live here?

aemkey

quadcore? Does Tg2 support multi-core? That's new to me, my dualcore is always working with only one core...
god weather-> photography
bad weather-> terragen

Oshyan

TG2 is not yet multithreaded (it doesn't directly support multi-core CPU's), however you can use crop render stitching or rendering of multiple frames of an animation simultaneously to take advantage of the power of a multi-core processor. Multithreading will be added to the renderer for the final release.

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

I have a question, in addition to multi-threading will there also be support for SLI?

Regards to you.

Cyber-Angel   

Oshyan

SLI support would be meaningless since TG2 makes no use of graphics acceleration functions, as we have stated several times before. Graphics acceleration for the 3D views would not have a significant effect since these views depend on the underlying rendering engine to produce the scene details; they are not using graphics card functions to render the scene. This approach is necessary to reliably display displacement-based terrain, correct lighting and other aspects of the scene that depend heavily on the specifics of the renderer. This makes it nearly impossible to accelerate the viewports using graphics card hardware however. We may consider alternate preview methods in the future that would be faster and rely more on graphics card acceleration, but these would inherently be much less accurate than the current preview.

- Oshyan

Cyber-Angel

I wasn't really thinking about the previews the method used now is fine I was more thinking for rendering its self, in production rendering pipelines SLI is found on the high end workstations used by the production artists just a throat any way, but if implementation is not easy then I guess people like me who are considering getting such a system are just going to have to live with it.

Regards to you

Cyber-Angel

Oshyan

Actually SLI is seldom, if ever, used for rendering. Although Nvidia does have the "gelatto" renderer that is accelerated by graphics card functions, it's not used in very many actual production situations. TV at best, certainly not film. It's just not up to the level of quality necessary. So any SLI setups for a workstation *are* used to accelerate the viewports (3D realtime views of the model/scene), and not for actual rendering.

- Oshyan